Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

Z-Engineering Belt needed - no a/c HELP!!

OK, smell seems to have subsided.

At idle though, the revs are not holding steady and it is hunting a little.

If the headlights are switched on they dim a little as the revs drop slightly.

Is this because the belt is still too loose or now too tight... HELP!

it's a learning curve.

Too loose and the alternator may not grip enough and the lights may go dim.

Too tight will lead to premature failure of water pump bearings and power steering pump which is obvious so you need to flex it between the two, if it slipd tighten it up a little at a time.

The toothed charger drive belt, the little one, need not be tight as the main belt is because it is toothed, there is a proceedure to follow to tension this small belt else you will cause premature failure of the belt and charger bearings alike.

Chris

The small belt is not toothed as it is the ZR1 model, but it is pretty tight.

I have got the new chip today, so I will try it later to see if the proper timing / fueling helps.

The serpentine belt has room to be tightened more anyway, so as you say I will try a bit of trial and error until it is more satifactory.

I haven't checked for any boost leaks yet, the vacuum hoses are all original by the look of it, so some may need tightening / replacing.

The idle before I fitted the charger was ok since I cleaned the ISV, so I think it can all be resolved with a bit more tinkering.

p.s corradovr6sc, thanks for the info on the A/C compressor. Stoke VW Spares were very friendly and helpful (I spoke to Jamie in the end). I will definately use them again in the future.

Cheers

Ben

Nothing can substitute for a custom remap mind, but the map you are going to use should make a noticable difference to using the std chip

Chris

Right, I am properly peeved now!

Installed the chip, no joy

To cut a long story short, I have now discovered that both chips are for a 1994 Golf VR6 - 021906258CR

Mine is 021906258B

I have emailed mailto:[email protected] to see if they have a chip but they are really hard to get hold of.

I haven't got the money for a remap at the moment... how the hell am I going to sort this out!!

Bugger!

Ok, new problems for me!

Charger is on, remap is booked at stealth on friday.

Unfortunately I have now worn the thread out on one of the belt tensioner holes that is now used to mount the charger to the engine block (its aluminium so it has worn very quickly due to having the charger on and off a few times and the belt tensioner was swapped around a bit before i fitted the charger).

Problem is that it is the hole that holds the bolt that you use to adjust the tension on the charger, so consequently the charger wont hold still and i am out of room to tighten the adjustment on the bracket with the idler pulley on it (mounted to the alternator).

I have already tried using steel epoxy to hold the bolt in place but it doesn't seem up to the job.

What are my options!!!

All i can think of is:

a) reinforce the hole and/or attach the bolt in place using more steel epoxy or maybe high temp. PTFE tape to tighten the space around the bolt?

b) retap the hole up to the next size bolt (M9 i think), problem is I will have to modify the bracket on the charger to allow a larger bolt size.

c) leave that area alone and grind a centimeter off the slam panel to allow m to tighten the idle pulley more (is this a good idea as I don't know if the pulley will take any more tension safely around that area)

Any ideas chaps as I may have to postpone my visit to stealth!

As I understand it the actual bolts which hold the charger in place don't have to be touched. All the adjustment is through s/c tensioner pulley.

The chassis rail has to be modified with an angle grinder to give enough clearance for the tensioner pulley to be adjusted fully.

aha... ok that sounds fine then.

I had already taken the angle grinder to the chassis rail anyway, but was being conservative with it (there is plenty of room to adjust the pulley more if i take more off with the grinder).

I will need to fix the bolt hole at some point (if i need to mount the standard idle tensioner again), although the helicoil kit looks like it will be fine for that.

Thanks again for your help, you have got me out of a few scrapes in the past couple of weeks mate!!

Thanks to all who helped with this.

After my trip to Stealth Racing on Friday, car is now remapped and putting out a healthy 252bhp. Thanks to Vince, top bloke!

Cheers!