Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

how to change the main water pump?

does anyone have a guide or instructions to change the main water pump on a vr 2.9,

and please anyone have any ideas for removing themostate houseing with the back bolt rounded inside, i am thinking hacksawing of the house in bits to get at the bolt, can i put a flame on the head to expand of is that a bit dodgy?????????????!!!

cheers that is great, i did not think to jack the engine up, thus i was a liitle mythed, any ideas on the thermostat housing bolt that is rounded of!!??

cant remember what size alllen key it is, 6mm? anyhoo, try a same size or next size up torx head socket on it, tap it on and make sure it gets a firm seat, as your turning the ratchet apply even downward pressure and hopefully itll spin off

Where are you? im sure one of the forum members would be willing to lend a hand if your stuck

Nice one

Gav

wow changed the pump, if you can cool it a pump, all the blades where gone, put a new pump in hey presto!! the temp does not even get above 90 in traffic, if there is alesson for anyone out there, it is not to take thing for granted, i saw that the water pump had been changed 5 year ago and thought that it would have had the metal one put in, it had not. if any one is having probs with the temp on there corrado then see if it has had a pump recently, if not it is a good bet it is gone, mine just kept between 100-110 if i was driving very easy other than that it overheated and it effectively had no pump, all the best

thanks

nickl

nickeboy, nice one - did you get that bolt out?

If you didn't and you can get a socket on it (I know it's an allen head) I can recommend Irwin Bolt Grippers (machinemart/eBay) - really good at removing any shape bolt / head as long as you can get on it...

no i did not get it out, i when down the repace everything else in the hope that it worked, and it did, it is the small allen key bolt that is reccesed so there is know easy way to get at it! it is a silly bolt because it has only half the depth to the allen key part as the others, i bought a new thermostat and houseing for it, so i thing i will put it in the attic, in a Dorian Gray kind of thing, in years to come it will be brittal and broken, actuall, i might take a picture of my car and put that in the attic and see if that helps!!!

i will have a look at th epart though

thanks

nick