Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

rebuilding my charger as we speak

using an RS rebuld kit form bar-tek i got of of edition 1 on this forum, has nice uprated countershaft bearings etc,,

all going well and back on teh rebuild,,

the only thing that concerns me is that teh bearing for the main shaft, supercharger pulley end has a plastic cage around the bearings as oppose to the old one had a metal cage around, new bearing is made by fag old one is nakichi,

do i use the new bearing or get another one with a metal cage,, all teh otehr bearings are exactly the same as the old ones apart from the countershaft ones which are uprated,,,

advice anyone? :D

here is the bearing,,

http://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/lshop,show ... 25576,.htm

We use FAG precision bearings at work on our CNC machines which run 24 hours a day, they seem to do the job and look like a good quality bearing.

Not sure if this has any relavance to G60s but there not really a "cheap" bearing manufacturer from my experience if that helps at all??

I've taken apart chargers which have never been re-built and they have the FAG bearing with a plastic cage..... shouldn't be a problem mate

Ah yes the uprated secondary shaft bearings, commissioned by a mate of mine in Germany called Michael Arndt, who actually works for FAG :-) They have a higher temperature rating for the grease, allowing for more headroom on the max. permissible speed of this bearing.

Tempest

all done now,, bit of heating to casings and teh bearings go in ok,,

bit nervewracking and so many things you can damage but got there in the end reallly carefull as i went,,

just gotta get a few hundred miles on it so i can give it some stick,,