Sign in to follow this  
aussieg60

Engine - Locking Cover on PG Engine Block

Does anybody know what item 40 does and why there is an opening to the block ? What is AMV sealing paste in the Bentley manual used to seal this plate to the engine block? Can I use Loctite 518 ?

Mod Edit: Pic reduced and uploaded. VR6

dont use loctite 518 all yu need is a little silicone. its a water outlet thats not used so its just a blanking plate

cant remember what the outlet was for tho

I 've recently replaced this on mine, both the plate and the seal which is number 41!!

It's just an opening into the water gallery, I don't believe it was ever used for anything as it is behind the timing belt!

I just find it weird as its not present on other 8v engines and why on this one.

I have applied loctite 518 because I could not find any help or reference of what to apply before I found this forum. Will it do any harm if I left it ? I have not run the engine yet. I have also powdercoated the locking cover :roll:

I've been told LOADS of different reasons that this hole is there, from: "it was there so that they could get the tooling in to make the coolant jackets better around Cylinder 1" to: "the motorsport versions had a secondary waterpump which was powered off the cambelt for desert rallyes"

I still don't know what it's for...

I had to re-seal mine on my original G60 engine (before the rebuild) and I just bought the correct seal from VAG, plonked it in and re-tightened the bolts and it was fine until the crank bolt sheared...

Some reasons are better than none :roll:

You say you just put the correct seal, does that mean you got just the O ring or the sealant as well ?