Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Short/quick shift kit for gearbox

Hi

I have recently had a custom quick shift fitted (my original shift has been modded to reduce the throw) which has reduced the throw by about 40%. It is really good and far better than the stock vr6 box.

One thing I have noticed is the gear stick has a bit of play in it more so than the stock gearbox, but only to the right (only when in neutral, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears). It's not slack to the left.

I'm not too bothered by it but wondered whether this is this normal?

Is it normal to hear metal 'dinking' sounds occasionally with quick shifts in general (I normally hear it when I shift down from 5th to 4th)?

Thanks for any info.

if you're shifting too quick, the shrt thros is clashing the synchro of the box - try shifting slower to see if the noise is there - if not - its the synchro so slow your changes

Thanks for your reply. I'm not shifting quick at all. Taking it really easy. Noise always happens. Is this noise not normal. It only tends to happen when shifting down from 5th to 4th and occasionally when changing to other gears. Is the slackness to the right normal?

no - sounds like something dodgy

i've done loads of quickshifts using std gearstick and they've all been perfect, just shorter and tighter :)

if they've cocked it up, the base of the gearstick mech or the control rods can catch/scrape etc. Likewise slackness to the right i have seen with a poor mod

i only know these things cos i've modded many sticks and know the pitfalls and the best way to achieve good results. if all else fails, i could probably sort it for you but you'd have to post it p and it'd trial fit it in my car