Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Mk2 GTI clutch change

Hi guys this is a bit of a bad one i think. :(

Got the gearbox off and put all the new clutch etc on and then put the gearbox back on (didn;t go on very smooth) all the bolts did up.

Now i have no tension in the clutch arm that the cable goes onto. And the clutch pedal goes to the floor.

I did remember to put the pressure plate in but i have just spent 7 hours doing it and it doesn;t work. ALso the car wont start, it did this morning, the only thing i did was move no1 spark to get TDC right.

Can anyone come fit a gear box?

Or offer any advice

Thanks

Beavisjem

I'm in Rome mate so your a couple of blocks away,did you remove the push rod located inside the input shaft?,maybe while you were changing the push rod's oil seal you forgot to re-install it,if you did,no problem,just remove the gearbox's green round end cover,un-bolt end cover with release bearing and put the rod back in,without having to remove the 'box,again.

Is your golf's 020 'box fitted with a self adjusting cable or a manual adjusted version?,if automatic try pushing down on the clutch operating arm on the gearbox to re-set the internal adjuster mech,on my old 2nd series golf gti 16v the cable often gave me problems like yours,try it.

Check that the dist.connection wasn't pulled off/damaged,did you disconnect any earths?,i'm assuming your g/f's ride is a gti?.

I cracked the friction plate because i didn;t line up the splines properly :oops:

But now the car wont start, where do i begin. The only thing i did while changing the clutch was remove the no1 spark plug to get TDC. Never owned a GTI just a golf Mk2 Driver don;t know where to begin looking for faults.

I read one post that said you can melt the ECU if you start the car with an earth cable on the gearbox disconnected. :oops:

Cheers

Chris Beavis