Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Loss of water...

about every 300-500 miles my water light comes on to tell me its running low.

My screw top for the bottle is very stiff at first when un-doing then twists freely then gets grippy and hard to unscrew again before taking it off. But im not sure if it's leaking from there, if i was to replace anything of that part do i need to replace the whole bottle?

MY radiator looks like its seen better days but not leaking anywhere.

Has anyone got any other ideas what might be causing my water loss?

Neil

Worth changing the expansion tank lid for the sake of a few quid. Can sometimes be the cause for the loss of water.

i have the same problem so would also appreciate some advice on this :)

ive done the expansion cap and yes it is a few quid from the dealers :)

I've had this problem since i bought my C - and the harder i drive it the quicker the water light comes on - was chatting to my mechanic friend and he sugested putting a bottle of RAD-WELD through, for the sake of £3 I thought i'd give it a try, that was a few days ago now and water light's not come on since / i nipped up all the jubblie clips on water pipes while i was there to :wink:

I have had a similar problem lately.

turns out to be a small leak from just behind the pulley on the waterpump.

Worth a look there while the engines running :wink:

I have had a similar problem lately.

turns out to be a small leak from just behind the pulley on the waterpump.

Worth a look there while the engines running :wink:

was it an easy fix and did it cost a lot?

cheers,

tbh I haven't fixed it! :oops:

The engine is on its last few miles before the turbo transplant, so I'm just keeping a close eye on the water level!

A complete water pump is only £22 from vwspares though! :wink:....It's not too bad a job to unbolt it!.....I think there's a "how to" on here somewhere if you do a search!

nice one! i will have to check mine out to see if thats where its leaking from....

cheers,

Here's the link for the complete pump for a non Vr6 C :wink:

Pump

Pretty good price, I think!

I had the same problem with my Corrado spent loads trying problems thought it might be heater matrix but as no carpets wet couldnt be that but it was the heater exchanger in the left hand side of the car on the back wall just by pass

if there's a waterleak from just behind the pulley on a 4 cylinder VW engine, it means you need a new waterpump. This leak is caused by an internal seal failing which VW had forseen and actually put a drain into the castings to make the water exit the pump in a controlled manner rather than spraying in all directions!

no I meant I had the problem of loss of water at one point went through the whole process of changing everything as the the chap before and it came down to my heater exchange got a bigger problem with mine that loss of water cant get my head round it

no I meant I had the problem of loss of water at one point went through the whole process of changing everything as the the chap before and it came down to my heater exchange got a bigger problem with mine that loss of water cant get my head round it