Sign in to follow this  
dubboy

CAT BYPASS???

When I brought my C it had a Supersprint exhaust on it with the CAT still in place. The guy also gave me a long stainless steel pipe which i gather is the part that replaces the CAT.

The car is a G60 if I replace the CAT will I notice any difference bhp etc. Or does it need to have the back pressure produced from having the CAT in place?

Backpressure is a myth. No car "needs" backpressure. Sometimes the exhaust can be tuned so the sound waves reflect back just as the exhaust valves are open, to promote slightly better scavenging (motorcycles often do this), but I wouldn't worry about that.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_produ ... uemyth.htm

If your cat is in good shape, you might get around a slight (2-5 bhp) gain by bypassing it. If its clogged, obviously the gains will be greater (but so would replacing it with a stock cat)

Skye

Cheers Brian, thought a cat bypass was a straight pipe dint know it was actually something with another box on it.

What I have is that straight through pipe that will go in place of the cat.

So replacing the cat with this straight pipe, is going to be alright? I gather not going to get any problems am I with removing the centre box? Is that where the cat is located?

Or am I talking crap and need to have a good look under my car? :lol:

i replaced my cat on the g60....NO differance at all..NOTHING, its not worth getting your hands dirty until the cat clogs

btw the cat looks like a little bomb with some wires coming out...roughly under the gearstick :)

theres the back box, the centre box, then the cat or by-pass. Supersprint do actually sell pipe work to delete the centre box too.

There should be no problem using straight pipe tho. may be louder, but no problem.