Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Quick Question

Can someone tell me the engine code for a Rado G60 please? I know the Rallye's are a different code, I need to see if Wiseco do Pistons for it. Is it PG?

And yes, I have used the search...

Crap, that means wiseco don't do off-the shelf pistons for them. Anyone know another american brand that would do them?

Cool, thank I'll take a look. I have a contact in the US so I'll see if they can get them, they were going to do me a brilliant price on wiseco pistons. also, do you know how different the G60 rods are from other 4 cylinder models?

G60 rods are a different length and stronger than most other 4 cylinder rods...

why do you want to put different rods in? The only reason I can think of for changing G60 rods were if I were putting in a different crank to do a capacity increase... :|

The standard G60 rods are VERY strong as standard... 8)

If you need an upgrade, Skat are very good....

Well, there you go - I don't need new rods!

I just thought since I can get a good price on them then I may as well - you say I shouldn't bother really?

hey, let me dig into some books, i used ot work for the Unites States larges auto parts distributor...

insert pause here cause i'm getting up...

as sitting, looking, and recalling... i know for a fact it is possible to use 1.8T pistons... to do the AEB 20v head onto a PG block you need to use 1.8T pistons... problem being figuring the compression... and since you are capable of using 1.8T pistons, now correct me if i am wrong here but i think i am correct you are also being able to use PL 16v... the only thing you have to keep an eye out for is wrist pin diameter, and of course piston diameter, and remember you probably want to run a slight bit bigger, if you are tearing your motor apart you want to do soem boring to clean the cylinder walls... and so far i see VW wrist pins come in 2 sizes and seem to be available for all 1.8 VW engines... using an american scale .787 and a metric 20mm

companies i have looked through so far is JE and Wiseco... (sorry i said Eagle before, eagle does not make pistons. rods and cranks only, they out source to JE for their pistons on their rotating assemblies)

hmm... looks like the girl wants to get food... when i get back, i'll dig into the bentley manual and get the PG wrist pin specs and see if i can help you out, also assuming you want to retain a factory 8.0:1 compression? or bump it to 9.0:1 and still run the same boost you do now to get some more power out of it?

**** more info ***

PG engine code requires a 22mm wrist pin.

bores on a PG

standard/oem piston - 80.985mm cylinder bore - 81.01mm

1st over size piston - 81.23mm cylinder bore - 81.26mm

2nd over size piston - 81.48mm cylinder bore - 81.51mm

info needed on selecting a piston...

from top of the wrist pin hole to deck/top of a stock G60 piston is 28.5mm

from bottom of wrist pin hole to deck/top of a stock G60 piston is 50.5mm

and the dome top of the piston recesses 8.6mm at it's lowest point...

girlfriend is on me about hangin out before goin to sleep... respond if you need more info and tomorrow i should have a comparable piston by a company you should be able to run... hopefully that is...

tricky... if you wanted to do rods as well i am sure i could get you numbers to do that... maybe full built assembly...

here are some...

JE pistons sold by autotech

82.5mm bore w/ 8:1 CR

$599.95

Add to Basket

http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_piston.htm

used in the Bahn brenner 1.9l kit 83mm bore pistons...

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/catalog/Pist ... n_Set.html

also! contact these guys, they know their stuff... only thing i've ever seen them not know is if the 9a and PL 16v rods were the same (and yes, you can use 9A rods in a PL) and they're really nice... from their site...

Ask our highly skilled Sales Staff anything

you need to know about Crankshafts, Rods and Pistons.

Drop us a line at mailto:[email protected]

SCAT Enterprises, Inc.

1400 Kingsdale Avenue

Redondo Beach, CA 90278

Phone: 310 370 5501

Fax: 310 214 2285

Thanks very much for all that information, I have had a price for some Wossner pistons in the UK, and I will be emailing my contact tomorrow about the JE pistons, and the Bahn Brenner ones too.

Darren - have you got any more information on using 16v rods - can I use any rods for a 16v engine or do they need to be specific ones, and what problems, if any, will i come across?

Thanks very much for all that information, I have had a price for some Wossner pistons in the UK, and I will be emailing my contact tomorrow about the JE pistons, and the Bahn Brenner ones too.

Darren - have you got any more information on using 16v rods - can I use any rods for a 16v engine or do they need to be specific ones, and what problems, if any, will i come across?

both 1.8L PL and 2.0L 9A rods are the same length at 144mm long... i hear the 1.8L PL rods are actually lighter so if you want to use OEM ones i would use the 1.8L to cut down on the rotational mass, especially if you plan to lighten the car... for every hundred pound you drop off of rotational parts is like dropping 200lbs off of the car...

the problem would be by changing the rods would be that you would be changing the compression ratio... you would not shortening or lengthening the stroke to gain power since that is the crank's job... and since you would be gaining CC's you would be dropping in compression ratio, the distance between the piston and the cylinder head which comprises the combustion chamber... and personally i would not drop below the 8.0:1 you have in your G60 now... but that's just me...

Ok, cool, thanks, thats more or less what I thought, I thought it would change the compression ratio. I will contact Scat Enterprises as I hear their rods are very good....

well either Scat or Eagle... they actually come from the same forger believe it or not... they'll feed you all kind of lines why theirs are the best but all in all that's the case... it's nice to have worked at a distributor as large as i did eventually word gets around and you start to learn some of this haha...

but i know scat will help you out finding what you need where if it's not in the basic eagle catalog their reps will simply say no they don't have it... just tel who ever you're getting the scat rods from you want them for a 2.0L 9A engine code... their listing doesn't specify if they'll work with a PL and usually will play safe say they don't know and would prefer not to sell them to you incase they won't... but they will...