Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

bonnet earth strap

i was just wondering what the earth strap on my 93 vr6 going to the bonnet from the front bulk head does, the heated washerjet are a guess but they have a negertive terminal, mine is broke would it afect anything else? and were can i get a suitable repacment, it is a flat piece of cable about a 1cm thick and 2mm deep.

thanks nick,

I think it just stops you getting shocks off the car (static build up)

They are about £7 from VAG or £2 from your local motor factors - which will probably last longer to be honest...

yeah, it can affect your radio reception, but not as much as the standard aerial does anyway! :lol:

FYI, the heated washer jets have 2 wires going to them, switched positive and an earth, so they'll keep working as well (!) as normal with our without the earth strap... ;)

i get bad radio reception also, i will see if it helps, is there a better ariel that screws straight on or does it invove the headlining coming off?

nick

I havnt had a bonnet earth strap for about two years now.. makes absolutely no difference at all to anything, wouldnt worry about it too much.....

there is usually a pretty good electrical conection through the hinges and lock pins but i think the earth strap is there just to be sure.

cant say i noticed any difference when my strap snapped.