Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

starter or dodgy ignition switch?

1990 K-jet 16v, I've noticed on my cold and hot starts (both behaving the same) there's a bit of a delay sometimes in turning the key to actually turning the car over, was wondering if this was a symptom of a failing ignition switch? Sometimes it's a heart stopping pause before it decides to turn over and fire up, always works in the end but It's obviously starting to warn me about some impending disaster :)

cheers,

David.

Hi David

My 1992 2L 16v does this very same thing. It began just as you described, with a delay in ignition from when you turn the key. This developed into it failing to start completely on some occasions. I'd turn the key, and nothing, but then try again and it would work. It's completely temperamental and you'd never know if it would start first time or not. I got loads of advice on the FOrum and the unanimous decision was the ignition switch. I finally changed it and it did the trick. Now I've got no more reliability worries as there's nothing worse! Well not that I;ve had yet!!

So yes, I'd advise to change the igniton switch (even though I don't know anything about cars). I think that will do it. There is a how to guide on the forum on how to change it. It's a right pain in the a*** though and is really fiddly. Also make sure you use a VAG replacement switch not a GSF or similar as I was told VAG are the only reliable ones to use.

I have a similar sort of problem, its quite a rare occasion when it happens, prob once a week if that and i turn it over and it doesnt fire. I keep trying and eventually it will start but can be after a couple of minutes. Thought it may be an imobiliser prob but it sounds more like the ignition switch. Any thoughts anyone?

Yeah I originally thought my problem was an immobiliser issue but the Forum put me straight and said about the ignition switch which is a common problem in Corrados. The VAG switch is only £20 so in my opininon its worth changing that before messing about with the immobiliser. Only problem is you'll need a couple of hours to change it!

For £20 i might give it a go. Other people have said that when the pushed the key in hard though it worked, this has little influence on mine, which made me suspect the imobilisor. Did you try that to any effect?

Yeah that's what happened with my one. It slowly got worse and worse but at one point it seemed to work when you pushed the key in hard but not if you didn't. Again that was because of the faulty ignition switch, but just because yours doesn't do that, it doesn't mean your problem is not the ignition switch. I think there can be a few symptoms but you might not have them all. The delay in starting thing sounds like my problem in the beginning. I think it gets worse from there. I'd change it anyway. £20 and an hour or 2 isn't much and at least you'll know you've got a new ignition switch which will need replacing sometime anyway.

ive bought but not fitted an ignition switch....

but the symptoms on mine are the same. If you normally turn the key, the ignition comes on but does't do anything. If I turn and raise the key quite hard the engine turns on staightaway.

Will update once switch fitted

Andrew

ive bought but not fitted an ignition switch....

but the symptoms on mine are the same. If you normally turn the key, the ignition comes on but does't do anything. If I turn and raise the key quite hard the engine turns on staightaway.

Will update once switch fitted

Andrew

cheers all, I remember Tempest saying the job can be a pig as some cars seem to have a hidden grub screw for locating the switch that requires the column is taken apart by breaking the two shear bolts???

You can get to the hidden screw if you get a really thin and long screwdriver

Homebase and other DIY stores sell watchmakers screwdriver kits, which are handy for this job :wink:

The screw itself isn't actually that tight (..well it wasn't when I had to change mine)

Oh, and take apart your old ignition switch, I bet it smells of peanuts :lol:

you sure? lol peanuts indeed, yeah just got a C and mine is doing this i bet its the same as a mk2 golfs cus i had it on mine old mk2,its not much of a prob atm on my C but i am going to fix, i know when it gets bad it can get right on your peanut :)

Deluk

I had same problem with myn Dave.. replaced the switch then shortly after the starter motor no probs since.. the switch is abit of a pain to get to but takes no time at all to swap over etc..

Seeing Tempest this evening to take him to the airport.. will try and ask for a bit more information on that awkward bolt for the ignition switch.

That definately sounds like the cause of your problem davidwort!

Seeing Tempest this evening to take him to the airport.. will try and ask for a bit more information on that awkward bolt for the ignition switch.

That definately sounds like the cause of your problem davidwort!

yeah don't fancy hot-wiring it like Tempest and Supercharged did before Inters :)

lol.. no, quite.

I can tell you that his advice for putting the switch back in was a couple of cable ties (one either side of the connector) going front to back of the switch housing area.. keeps the switch in far more securely and will make it considerably easier to remove should it ever go again....

Yep, I agree with that. Sod the little screw. When you see the size of the screw and its fixing you'll see that it's basically pointless as it won't hold under any sort of pressure. Cable ties are a better option and a lot easier to fix.

davidwort, you can try a new switch tho without removing the old one, just unplug it and have the new one hanging there....

Hotwiring isn't to bad either...

davidwort, you can try a new switch tho without removing the old one, just unplug it and have the new one hanging there....

Hotwiring isn't to bad either...

cheers, might have a polo one so I'll try that first t osee if it affects it before tootling off to VAG.

must be the weather as i think ive got the same probelm, used to turn the key and there would be a delay when starting and now nothing happens at all. got the rac to put in a hot wire so i now have to turn on the ignition and place a wire on the bat terminal to start the car! looks a bit suspect having to pop the bonnet and start the car this way, few dodgy looks. off to vw 2m hopefully to get the switch and fingers crossed it will be sorted!!

Craig, yeah, that sounds VERY much like the switch has given up...

thanks, ill pop into poole 2m then and have a fiddle with help from the handy wiki guide! cheers 8)

yeah it definately sounds like the switch has gone to me.... ive had a few go and when they are on their way out you have to put more pressure on the barrel as you turn the key to make the car start.

i ended up taking the steering wheel off to change the switch but it was a pretty easy job to be honest, just make sure your steering lock is off so that you have a bit of movement to get a long think screwdriver behind the barrel.

well, it turned out it wasn't the ignition switch after all, it was the starter :lol:

failed to start completely on me once and a thump on the starter solenoid did the trick.