Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

audi s2 girling calipers

I've been doing some research on this myself for a conversion.... fomr what I understand they will fit as direct replacements (although the brake lines may need replacing)

Although the one thing that put me off was something people mentioned about the brakes having uneven wear due to the brake pad being slightly off the edge of the disk (4mm springs to mind) Hopefully somebody can confirm as I keep wanting to get something better for my front brake setup.

Ask Darren from G-Werks... he sells these as an upgrade kit... ;)

Yes I was tempted but personally I just can't afford the £480 plus shipping to Germany. Especially if I can pickup a set of Girling 60's and refurb them for alot less either locally or on the bay.

Whats the difference between the girlings from G-werks and the original ones from an Audi ? Other than age of course ;)

Ok, I think I've found a supplier that can do me a set of these calipers (rebuilt with original parts) with a 2 year warranty on them.

All I need to know now is what pads to get to match with these as somebody mentioned there are 2 sizes for these. Also can anybody confirm if a replacement hos set is required ? I'm temped to go for a braided set anyway while there but need to know the type to go for really.

Once I've got mine and I can confirm they're right I'll post the link incase anybody else is interested..

Will let you know for sure ;)

Classic advice on brake fitting...

-----

Cause: Some calipers have the inlet feed in the middle of the body, pointing to the centre of the vehicle. This can lead to the calipers being fitted on the wrong sides. If this happens, the bleed nipples are at the bottom instead of the top.

Solution: Swap the calipers to the correct hands with bleed nipples at the top. Or you may prefer to turn the vehicle upside down when bleeding the calipers.

-----

Erm, think some Volvo's came wit twin pot calipers. Mate has them on the front of his "GTi" Caddy (running about 160-180 bhp) and claims they're awesome for no money....

Mind you he's now also tooling about in a 49 Buick with Hydros.... this behmoth stops in about the same distance as an oil tanker!

yup, that was a featured upgrade in one of the first GOLF mags along with Rover220gti wheels...

They were Girling twin pots and fitted straight onto the MKI golf, but I can't remember which volvo they were off... :roll:

have you spoken to Darren?

I've emailed to ask about the braided hose kit for this. It wouldn't be very nice of me to contact him about the carriers alone as he sells a kit (which is more than most) I'm just on a budget right now as I've had to outlay alot in the last few months.

These kits are from BahnBrenner if I guess correctly, so Darren wouldn't have the carriers on there own anyway.

I don't think they're an aftermarket part... I know that Dubwhizz has fitted these to his MKII Golf G60 Oettinger and got the parts from a local scrapyard...

They're not aftermarket as such. Lucas still manufacture them from what I can see. The ones I've seen come up on the bay are from the older Audi 200 and really look like it as well ;) Plus they sell for about €200 a set (Caliper and Carrier) I can get new (refurnished) calipers for that, but just need to find the carriers.

They are a good upgrade, pads don’t come easy or cheap. I have them on my 16V for track days the only trouble I had with them was getting a decent pedal as they take a lot of fluid.

I was considering a new 25mm MC but felt it may turn my pedal into an on off switch, and with no ABS it would be more dangerous than some travel.

Does anyone know if 15’ steelies will clear these callipers? Will 15s steelies clear G60 callipers

So.. update.

Had a problem finding the carriers for these and in the end gave up. Although I'm sure given the right incentive you can find these....

I got confirmation from these guys....

http://www.brakesint.com/shop.html

They can get refurbed Girling 60 caliper only for about 55 inc VAT. No carriers though I'm afraid. No mention of exchange either.....