Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

breather filter g60 plus why ditch giro valve? new Question!

hi all can some one please tell me how big the breather filters need to be on the end of the isv after giro valve and on the end of the oil breather pipe if i dont vent straight under car

thanks Andy

I bought a really nicely fabricated oil catch tank - to my design that bolted really neatly to the bracket that holds the expansion tank - cost me just under £40 and means that I'm totally environmentally friendly

I will take some pics tomorrow and PM them, bloke I bought off runs a fabrication company and was incredibly helpful

« Henny » wrote:quick tip: DUMP the gyro valve...

Why??

Id like to know why ditch the giro valve aswell

Yeah and I would why dump the valve mate????

Here you go mate: height - 150mm (180mm including breather pipe), width 75mm, inlet pip I got manufactured in exactly the same diameter as the rocker cover breather. Came with a sight guag, drain plug and an integral bracket for mounting. Thinking about seeing if there is enough interest for a Group Buy, reckon I could get them down to £40 including P+P if I could get 10 made

andy thanks for that mate quality i will be interested in poss group buy!

henny you around mate could do with your brains on this why ditch the giro valve! thanks Andy

I'm well intrested but................ :oops: dont understand the need/reson for it? can anyone help hopefully without ripping the piss clean out of me???? cheers Russ

Now posted a Group Buy Feeler, if you're interested (obviously dependant on being able to negotiate a reasonable price) can you drop a PM to me and I'll add you to the list

Dunno really money's tight {owning a c} and I think the insurance is due this/next month - would like to understand the working/reson behind it all before i spend more money mate???????????????????

If you're running a boost return delete the pipework that flows from the bottom of the TB to the second charger inlet will have been discarded. The rocker cover breather is tyhen very often left to deposit the tiny amounts of oil it pumps out on to the ground - witha catch tank it obviously collects there and can be drained and disposed of. Catch tanks do add a bit of bling to an engine bay too of course

Ah and so whats the point/gains frome the boost return deletion kit thingy?

Points / gains - depends whose opinion you read! Some would say its best to leave the fruits of Volkswagens develepoment / research in place, others will say that it returns warm air back to the charger that can have a detrimental impact on the chargers effectiveness and its therefore best to remove.

I had to delete the boost return as I needed the second inlet for the twin inlet induction kit.

if your fitting a twin inlet induction kit why not just run the rocker cover breather pipe to the new second inlet pipe?

if your fitting a twin inlet induction kit why not just run the rocker cover breather pipe to the new second inlet pipe?

As mentioned before the oil fumes from the breather can dilute the grease already in the charger and its also not very good for the apex seals etc, plus the boost return pipe adds unused hot boost air from the TB back into the charger which is not ideal. The twin inlet feeds both sides of the charger with cold clean air which is much more beneficial. :D

sorry, meant to reply to your PM but just keep forgetting... :oops:

The gyro valve is designed to stop boost from "leaking" through the ISV at hight boost levels... unfortunately Dr Bosch designed the ECU to VENT excess (ie, over 1bar of boost) through the ISV as anything over 1Bar, the ECU can't measure and so doesn't know how to fuel correctly. By sticking in a gyro valve, you're making the ECU think that it's successfully vented the excess boost where infact it's still getting into the cylinder where it will make the car run lean, pink and (thanks to the knock sensor) cause the ECU to knock back the timing causing you to lose power just as you would when the ECU vented some boost... only difference is that the way the ECU is designed to overcome the 1bar limit means that the engine DOES NOT run lean, where using a gyro valve means it WILL run lean while at high throttle which is where expensive damage can happen VERY quickly...

The net result in using a Gyro valve is that you gain NO real power increase (unless your ISV is utterly knackered) and you run the risk of melting you pistons...

Removing it's a bit of a no-brainer when you realise how the ECU is supposed to work... ;)

cheers mate ill dump that straight away as mine runs lean at top end alot to do with jabba chip but sounds like giro valve's not helping that!

cheers for reply henny much appreciated!