Sign in to follow this  
flusted

G60 BOOST GAUGE

Ive got my boost gauge plumbed in on 1 of the small vacuum pipes near the servo pipe.

Just wondering if thats the right place? can anyone take a pic of where theres is plumbed in?

Also can only see 1890 on mfa gauge and about 12psi on gauge.

Charger has been checked and all ok,could it be due to the size of my front mount intercooler?

Its a bit hard to redline in 3rd on the Isle of Wight to check boost as you run out of road :lol:

my boost gauge came with a t piece and the tube the gauge goes on has a small brass restrictor in it?

Was guna ditch that?

high reading on a boost gauge isnt always a good thing. it just shows that you are building pressure in the inlet, which isnt actually being used. mine shows 8 psi at the redline and im running a 68mm pulley on a good charger.

as long as the charger is producing good boost, you should be aiming for a lower reading on the gauge.

the ultimate goal would be to see 0psi on a gauge at full throttle. this would mean that the engine is using all of the air the charger can produce. boost gauges show what is NOT being used

high reading on a boost gauge isnt always a good thing. it just shows that you are building pressure in the inlet, which isnt actually being used. mine shows 8 psi at the redline and im running a 68mm pulley on a good charger.

as long as the charger is producing good boost, you should be aiming for a lower reading on the gauge.

the ultimate goal would be to see 0psi on a gauge at full throttle. this would mean that the engine is using all of the air the charger can produce. boost gauges show what is NOT being used

while its true a high boost figure doesnt mean better , surely we should all expect to see like for like figures as long as we have the same cam/head combo

yeah thats what i thought. as wiki states 2000 on mfa with 68mm pulley should be right, i cant make anymore than 1890 so presumed i have a small leak.

Could i add a tube to the outlet near charger and run the gauge from there to give me an idea how much the charger is pushing?

while its true a high boost figure doesnt mean better , surely we should all expect to see like for like figures as long as we have the same cam/head combo

if you have a good charger, efficient head and a cam that gobbles air, you should see low boost figures on your boost gauge.

mine used to make 15psi before i rebuilt the engine with the new head and bottom end. the problem with the 8v head is it is very inefficient as it is not a cross flow. this is why people do 16v conversions gfor G60's, the 16v head is far more efficient than the 8v head.

all im saying, is a lower boost reading does not always mean a leak is present. however, if you are getting say 14psi 1 day, then 12psi the next, you have a problem. if you are making 12psi with a GOOD charger, then you must be using more boost