Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Handling running wider tyres

When finances allow I want to change my rims (along with a million things) to something that give my rado a good stance similar to when it was running 17s.

I have seen people running 9s up front which I think would be to much for a comfy daily drive, the roads I commute on are "interesting" to say the least which meant I was getting pissed off waaaay to easy due to the stress of dodging potholes etc!!! :oops:

How many people run 7s up front 9s at the rear? Can anyone compare the handling to say 15s or 17 x 7 all round?

I run 9's all round, and do get a bit of tram-lining, but you get used to it! My Koni's are set full hardness too, so ride quality isn't fantastic.

hi lippy my borbets are 7.5j up front and 9j at the back i cant compare to a smaller alloy im afraid but imo she handles well if your at E38 and theres a spare bit of unused road you can take the G for a quick blast if you want!

How many people run 7s up front 9s at the rear? Can anyone compare the handling to say 15s or 17 x 7 all round?

I have run both. Hard to compare as I also changed springs and obviously had different rubber. Ignoring the fact that the standard springs made the car roll more, it still remains that I could feel the tyres flex more on the 15" too; a higher pressure dials most of it out. The loss of grip (going to a 15") can only be two possible things for me: 1. Make of tyre; Dunlops not being as grippy as the Toyos prox. 2. Although the 15" are 7j wide, they came with 195 and not 205 which the 17"'s had - thats gotta make a difference too.

I think I'd go for some 17"s if I were going on the track, but as you say you have to be super aware of potholes and gives spine tingling ride. I got to say I'd love a set of 16x7's

mate we'll defo have a few beers i need to meet some new people from the forum put some names to faces so make sure you come over and say hello!! you going up friday or sat!

back to topic id like to try 16 x 8's all round! like the size of those keskin kt4's i like daz says they handle really well with a good tyre on!

16s I think may have to be my next step but dont want to buy anything too heavy which will mean shite ride quality and too wide making tramlining worse.

O/T

will be camping fri and sat. I imagine we will all have a big spot for the camp site. Need to get my ass in gear and make sure I have got everything I need