Sign in to follow this  
Deanodynosaurs

Driveshaft Boot Changing

Again a request for advice, and yes, I’ve done a search, but couldn’t find anything on the topic.

I need to change the boot on the drivers side drive shaft by the wheels (not the gearbox end).

I have looked through the Bently Manual at the procedure for this, but am just confused on a few bits.

I know that firstly I need to loosen the driveshaft nut with the wheel on the ground, before jacking the car up, and supporting it on axle stands. Once this is done the nut can then be fully removed. Then I need to undo the torque bolts at the gearbox end. This end should then drop down, and I should be able to pull the splined end of the drive shaft out of the carrier.

However, this is where I get confused. I then need to take the larger end of the boot off (I understand this bit!), and drive the drive shaft out of the CV with a soft face mallet. However, from the diagrams there seems to be a circlip? How do I take this off? Do I just drive the shaft out with it still on? Or can I install the boot without separating these bits?

Any advice of knowledge would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

No need to remove the shaft just to change the CV boot.

Drop the balljoint down & the cv joint can be separated from the upright. The joint can then be 'knocked off the shaft' over the hidden circlip (which then gets replaced.

Sounds easy - though mine wasn't. It just wouldn't get over that circlip. Ended up knocking the while shaft & joint out of the gearbox by mistake! All popped back together nicely though!

Pics of the process here:

http://www.slybadger.com/cars/s2/cv.htm

(though actually an audi not a corrado)

and a pic of my corrado c0ck up here!:

http://www.slybadger.com/cars/corrado/hub.jpg

for more info- search the forum rof a combination of the following words: "boot joint mallet" a good set of results!

No need to remove the shaft just to change the CV boot.

Drop the balljoint down & the cv joint can be separated from the upright. The joint can then be 'knocked off the shaft' over the hidden circlip (which then gets replaced.

Sounds easy - though mine wasn't. It just wouldn't get over that circlip. Ended up knocking the while shaft & joint out of the gearbox by mistake! All popped back together nicely though!

Pics of the process here:

http://www.slybadger.com/cars/s2/cv.htm

(though actually an audi not a corrado)

and a pic of my corrado c0ck up here!:

http://www.slybadger.com/cars/corrado/hub.jpg

for more info- search the forum rof a combination of the following words: "boot joint mallet" a good set of results!

Cheers yalan,

The whole job sounds a lot easier than i thought it was going to be! The pictures especially help! I might unbolt it from the gearbox end anyway as I really don’t fancy pulling the shaft out of the gearbox!!

I only replaced my brakes and pads yesterday, so if I’m careful, do you think I could just drive the shaft out without removing these again?

Cheers for all the help! :-)

Neil

I'd agree, good tips. Should be able to do it on the car. I only took mine off to take a closer look at the bearings to ensure they were not pitted. Greased it all up and put back together (on the Golf). As said, just takes careful brute force - gently tapping either side of central.