Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Minor Fuel leak...can anyone help me find a part?

I am trying to track down a part for my car, I am hoping someone here can help!

Its a bit of a long shot as I don't have a part number, just a very vague description....

I have a leak from my fuel pump on my 1991 16v, the guy at the MOT spotted it. He tells me the part that is leaking is a 'small plastic box with a couple of metal connections' and its just before the fuel pump (he called it a 'pre-pump').

I have been down to a VW dealer and looked at some of the diagrams on the computer screen, but could not be sure exactly what I was looking at/for.

Does anyone here have any idea of what bit I need? A part number would be ideal (but unlikely from the description I give I fear!), but a better description or name for the part would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

right ok.. i know what to do here ;-)

I have the same leak on my c.. I'm running a 16v fuel pump and the bloody thing has started to leak.. exactly where you have described. Basically its the plastic swirl pot seal that is leaking. looks like the fuel is coming from the pump but its the seal on the swirl pot. I've tried to bodge it but the fuel still leaks, not very much but enough to be of a concern..

The solution - GSF can sell you the plastic box or swirl pot for about £30.. Don't think its hard to fit but be werry of the menal pipes as you'll need to replace the washers on them once you pull them apart, which you will have to do to get the box on. I think the seal is part of the box but I may be wrong. I haven't done mine yet but I was thinking of buying another pump and making a nice job of it, having the metal pipes sand blasted and powder coated etc etc..

Let me know how you get on.

Don't forget there are x2 types of 16v pumps, so be sure to tell GSF exactly what your one is.. prob get the correct one from the chassis number..

Ben

Fantastic!

Thanks so much for your help. That definitely sounds like the part I need. I'll be getting someone else t fit the thing, I'm no good with things like that!

Thanks again, and I hope you get yours sorted soon

right ok.. i know what to do here ;-)

I have the same leak on my c.. I'm running a 16v fuel pump and the bloody thing has started to leak.. exactly where you have described. Basically its the plastic swirl pot seal that is leaking. looks like the fuel is coming from the pump but its the seal on the swirl pot. I've tried to bodge it but the fuel still leaks, not very much but enough to be of a concern..

The solution - GSF can sell you the plastic box or swirl pot for about £30.. Don't think its hard to fit but be werry of the menal pipes as you'll need to replace the washers on them once you pull them apart, which you will have to do to get the box on. I think the seal is part of the box but I may be wrong. I haven't done mine yet but I was thinking of buying another pump and making a nice job of it, having the metal pipes sand blasted and powder coated etc etc..

Let me know how you get on.

Don't forget there are x2 types of 16v pumps, so be sure to tell GSF exactly what your one is.. prob get the correct one from the chassis number..

Ben