Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Fitting toothed belt kit to g60

Ive got a toothed belt kit coming for my g60.

I guess i need to remove bottom crank pulley by undoing the 6mm allen bolts??

Whats the best proceedure for removing the charger pulley and water pump pulleys?

Is it worth me ordering any new bolts etc?

Do i need any special tools?

Thanks in advance

Crank and water pump pulleys bolts won´t be easy to take out for the first time!

Put some WD40 a couple of hours before doing the job.

Don´t re-use the bolts.

As far as i remember, you don´t need any special tools, but some quality tools!

Keep posting! :)

Sometimes i can undo the pulley´s bolt with a 17mm spanner and a quick hit with a hammer (with the belt in position).

Other times i undo the belt, and use a spare crappy belt to put around the pulley to help.

You can always go to a tire shop where they have those pneumatical guns, making it easier to come of.

An air gun is always the easiest. I would also suggest going to Halfrauds or your local motor factor and spending £15 on a Gear Puller. Otherwise teh Alternator and charger pulley can be wedged on quite tight and wedging in a scredriver or similar to lever them off can do more damage than good!!!

Also make sure when you fit the kit that all pulleys are in line with each other, and that the belt is not too tight otherwise you will eat a belt every 500 miles or so! good luck!

I wouldn't go waving an airgun anywhere near your charger mate!!!!!!!! I have a strap wrench that i use to hold the pulley, its kinda line a bit of old fanbelt on a bar which you can use to hold pulleys. A strap filter wrench would be a good alternative.

You may well need a small 2 or 3 leg puller to get the pulley off depending on how long its been on there and if anyone put anything on there to stop it sticking.

Started this tonight and have removed all the pulleys! Worth noting the toothed crank pulley is half the weight of standard pulley 8)

Problem i have is i have no idea where the cambelt style tensioners mount?

So do i still use the original tensioner aswell?

This is what i removed, so i replace the plastic pulley on this part and the 1 on the engine? how does the 1 on engine come off?

Am i sposed to have new bolts?

If this isn't a simple fit for you mate i foresee problems with you running these. If you want to give me a call in the morning i will run through the correct fitting procedure that will give you no running problems as if fitted incorrectly as mike said you will go through belts.

Im unsure if theres bits missing. Mike seemed to have a rigid tensioner?

All i got was 4 pulleys and 2 cambelt tensioners?

What else do i need?

Il try and ring in morning

Thanks

Did you buy the kit from us or another comapny ?

Our kit comprises of

* belt

* 4 pullies

* 2 tensioners

Got it all fitted now,just need to double check everything before i drive it.

Found that if you use a kids bike stabilizer bolt to hold the tensioners on,they fit really well and are easily lined up by adding or removing washers from each side.

The cambelt tensioners have a fatter hole than the 13mm headed bolts that are on the idler wheels,but the stabilizer bolt is the same thread but had a fatter sleeve for the tensioner to sit on

Will try and post pics up later

Ok, anyone that says you dont get belt slip is talking poo.When i removed my new belt on standard pulley,there was loads of fine rubber dust everywhere!

Heres the pic of tensioner arm with cambelt tensioner fitted and also a pic of bike stabilzer bolt (good job i work in a bike shop!)

How is she running now?

Its still not right but fed up of trying to sort it :mad:

Guna wack on all the goodies then get it tuned or summink