Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Brembo 'Max' front brake discs VR6

Does anybody run these grooved discs, how do they perform/wear etc.?

Did a search but didn't really find much on these.

How good is the protective coating? Does it really stop corrosion in the long term? I've always favoured VAG discs but they don't look too great when they rust!

Just stuck a pair on a mates 16V, first impressions are they seem to bed in well and the noise isn't too bad (not like the zimmermans), used Pagid FR pads with these...

The coating looks good but it's too early to tell really altho it has rained tonite so i'll go and have a nose at his car at work tomorrow...

The other thing is the price - £26 from GSF for the pair which is good even if they don't last as long as the VAG ones - I assumed they are priced individually too but they came as a boxed pair, unfortunatly they don't do G60 ones...

They do them for the VR6 tho (I must change my sig!)

I think the VR ones are priced at £41 which is great if thats for a pair!

What do you mean about the noise? from the grooves?

cheers

What do you mean about the noise? from the grooves?

Yeah but you'd have to be really fussy to notice it and I reckon it will almost go completly once they are slightly worn and filled up with a bit of dust...

Just emailed my mate to find out where his Golf is and i'll go and have a look...

Fitted a set of Brembo max discs (£70-odd + VAT for the pair) yesterday with Pagid FR pads, loads of initial bite, very quiet and smooth underfoot, they aren't even bedded in yet!

They feel so much better than the pagid grooved I took off, they looked ok on the outside but the inside of the disc was worn past the grooves and was all cratered and lumpy, no wonder the brakes were crap.

Pics here -

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 751#568751

ive got brembo discs for the valver, they are very good imo. Saved my life many many tmies, which is what its all about!!!

I used green stuff with them and the braking is so much better than the standard VAG setup. Well worth the spend :)

Just to confirm that my mate is well impressed with his and showing no signs or corrosion / rust after a 3k miles...

I went to buy some G60 ones but GSF don't do them and they've also stopped doing the Pagid FR pads... Brembo do do them for a G60 so I'll source elsewhere or maybe go Black diamond as I fancy trying something new...

Just to confirm that my mate is well impressed with his and showing no signs or corrosion / rust after a 3k miles...

I went to buy some G60 ones but GSF don't do them and they've also stopped doing the Pagid FR pads... Brembo do do them for a G60 so I'll source elsewhere or maybe go Black diamond as I fancy trying something new...

Got pagid FR pads (VR6 but same as G60) from GSF last week but had to ask the guy to order them in, he didn't offer! When I picked them up another guy asked if I wanted greenstuff instead, they must be pushing other brands at the moment.

Got a set of Brembo Max for my Mk2 Storm recently, and will fit them whenever I feel like (i.e. when the current disks are a bit more worn and the pads are run down a bit further.

I'm intending on coupling the Brembos to Pagid FR pads (one of the last sets I managed to get through SteveMac at GSF).

SteveMac told me that Pagid have dropped the FR range, as they're now all the same company with mintex, hence they're reshuffling their product range. The Mintex Extreme are allegedly the successors to the Pagid FR, but Steve wasn't too happy with them, looking at them: They have a thick backplate (to match a wider range of cars, hence making them cheaper to manufacture) with a much thinner actual friction layer. The recommended successor pads are the EBC Greenstuff pads, where the composition has recently been changed and they're found to be OK by GSF, and are recommended in place of the old Pagid FR.

Why do good products always get discontinued? :roll:

Tempest

Why do good products always get discontinued? :roll:Tempest

Because good products cost more to manufacture. e.g. corrado.