Sign in to follow this  
spuduk_99

which corrado do i go for?

I've decided it's time for me to become a Corrado owner.

as soon as i've sold my modified saxo (ahem!), I want to buy a corrado.

I'm only 20, so I won't be able to afford to insure a vr, or a g60.

I've heard the 8v was pretty crap, so do I go for a 1.8 or a 2ltr 16v? is the 1.8 better on insurance?

well i would go for a 16v they are in my opinion the most reliable corrado out of the range. Dont taken offense guys but g60 dudes have to worry about there charger all the time and most vr's are coming to that stage where rebuilds need to be done.

Also i would go for a 1.8 16v and then when you have a bit more money get yourself a 9A 2L bottom end and youll easy see 170 +/- 5bhp assuming ull have a k&n filter and exhuast system

hope this helps

well, no offence taken, but personally, i had my Charger rebuilt cause it was overdue, and i have never been worried about it since. I also bought my G60 when i was 19 to replace my 1.1 MKI Golf.

So i wouldn't rule out a G60 completely.

Tho 16v's are good.

nnaaaa not the 1.8 they are not as good as the 2.0l 16v. These came out later than the 1.8 and VW have solved a few problems that were known on the 1.8.

I have a 2.0 16v and it is a quick one. I have de-cat it and i took it for a RR test and it was about 150bhp.

There is no difference really between the 2 of em when it comes down to Insurance. I would recommend Adrain Flux. I was 20 when i first got the corrado with mods and they were very competative. I am now 23 and im still with them

The 2.0L 16v is a very good car and ive never had any problems with it.

for pics of mine go to:

http://www.cruisequest.co.uk/events/hem ... index.html

hello rob :D

well i really comment about the different in insurance as mine started of as a 1.8 16v and then into a race spec 2L 16v so it went up by £200

also dubster i can understand what your saying but ive know a few people to have rebuilt chargers even from Jabba and other majoy g60 rebuilders and they still have let go. You have to remember the g-series charger are very old in design even thou they are good what they do and when you start pushing them to there limits they tend to go.

Also a unit thats been running on a car for 60000miles and you rebuild it you still have to remember the main parts of the charger have 60000 miles writen all over it.

Its very similar to what someone mentioned on this forum about rebuilding a 16v head how it could cause more damage to the bottom end. Same kind of principle

just my 2p worth

Robs got a point with the 2l 16v but buy a good one with fsh etc and anyone of them will last you well if looked after - i love my 1.8 16v because its a good one even after 130000 miles.

Look at the car as a whole rather than just an engine.

Check the electrics - especially sunroof (make sure it slides all the way back without making noises) and the rear spoiler (goes up and down freely using the switch as well the speed sensors).

Check all the seams especially the rear panel and make sure the vw options sticker is still stuck to the paint work in the boot (check it matches with the sticker in the front of the service book).

Remember - everything that is unique to the corrado is going to be fairly pricey - so haggle hard if there is anything wrong with it!

The corrado is the first car out of 28 ive owned that i have kept over 12 months and ive had it two and a half years now!!!!!!!!!!!! says something! 8)

ok, thanks alot guys.

i'll keep all this in mind.

I have my eye on a maroon 2.0 16v with 70,000 on the clock (h-reg),

which seems to have been well cared for.

The owner was asking £3200 for it, but I'm not sure wether he's still selling it.

watch this space...

I have my eye on a maroon 2.0 16v with 70,000 on the clock (h-reg),

which seems to have been well cared for.

The owner was asking £3200 for it, but I'm not sure wether he's still selling it.

Be careful with that one, 2.0 16v's never came out till K reg.

Also, get insurance quotes for yourself first, 1.8 16v is group 15 but the 2.0 is a 17.

I think the 1.8 is a lot better, it doesnt need a cat, its quicker than the 2.0 and cheaper! on the bad side though the insurance for the 1.8 is more expensive than the 2.0, well for me it was anyway!

1.8 16V's are quicker than the 2.0, but you have to rev them more to appreciate the difference. The 2.0 has better torque which makes for a more relaxing drive. If you do go for a 2.0 16V, make sure it has the later spec interior, as some early examples (pre August 92) have the old spec.

Cheers

Mark

Dont you at least get 2.0L J reg's?

I think your right, there was a few but definatley none in H as standard.

oh, i knew that was a definate, but thought they came out just between J and K, werent sure really.

early 92 was when the 2.0 16v was introduced so J-reg onwards :wink:

There is a big difference with insurance for the 1.8 and 2L, insurance group 15 for the 1.8 and, 17 for the 2L, when reading up on the stats for the 2 they where identical in top speed and 0-60mph, the only thing u get with the 2L as standard what the 1.8 doesnt have is the ABS, personally i didnt see the point in paying more money for insurance for the sake of ABS which in my opinion should have knocked the insurance group down if anything, im 20 yr old also insurance is a little over 1k a year, with 5k limmited milage, and no mods stated.

2.0 L 16v are not group 17 they are group 18.

I have rung 5 different insurance groups and they all say the same.

The 2L 16v is faster than the 1.8 if the cat is removed. The reason the 1.8 may be faster is cos it has no cat. As soon as you take the cat off the 2.0L one then you have matched or gained speed over the 1.8

thats mad how can a 2L 16v have a higher insurance group than the G60 stupid insurance companies.

PS you could try Bell direct or green light for an insurance quote cheapest by far when I was 20 under £800

2.0 L 16v are not group 17 they are group 18.

I have rung 5 different insurance groups and they all say the same

I thought my VR6 was group 18?

Thera

There seems to be a lot of confusion over insurance groups so heres what they really are.

1.8 16v 15

1.8 g60 16

In '92 the insurance companies decided to increase the ratings so from '92 on they became.

1.8 g60 17

2.0 16v 17

2.9 vr6 18

vr6 Storm 19

Not sure on the 2.0 8v

its doesn't all come down to what engine you have at the end of the day. What they look at is, how nickable is the car ? how rare are they (eg cossies, there are not many of them around hence Group 20) There arent alot of 2.0L 16v around either but there are more 1.8s than 2.0L. Are you with me ??? ...... I guess insurance groups can change year to year

VR6'S ARE GROUP 18 (AND APPARENTLY, SOME INSURERS PUSH STORMS AND CAMPAIGNS UP TO GROUP 19!)

i GOT QUOTES FOR THE 1.8 AND 2.0 FROM ADMIRAL INSURANCE ONLINE, AND BOTH QUOTES WERE ALMOST IDENTICAL, SO THEY MUST SEE THEM BOTH AS BEING GROUP 15.

WHAT INSURANCE GROUP IS THE 8V?