Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

vr top hose keep's splitting

well this has happened to me twice in 3 weeks, and both times in the same place?? i thought nothing of it the first time, as the rubber is about 13 years old, but the replacement appeared to be in very good condition, and came from a 96 rado, it just seems strange that both have gone in exactly the same place, i have done a make shift job repair at the moment till i get another one, but any ideas why this has happened twice :?

Might be worth a shot .. Are u running the later Blue expansion bottle cap? As if your running the standard black one it might not be depressurising properly.

yeh its got the later blue cap on the expansion bottle, does anyone know if a golf vr6 top hose is the same as a rado one??

Golf is different, check the system is working properly before replacing, ie thermostat opening, rad fan working and engine not running hot etc....

Mine split in the same location. I bought the new one from VW.

The new part is a different design, that joint is now reinforced which leads me to believe it was a poor design in the first place.

Hence I'm not surprised its failed again! Buy a new one from VW or a samco hose kit...

cut the T peice part of the hose out completely and replace it with the plastic t peice off a late mk3 vr6 (with the extra clips of course)

you then also get the added bonus that it gets air out of the system better, because the expansion tank hose is in line with the flow, rather than off to the side.

all 3 are new mate, thought it was wise to do with the charger.

They might be new but is the front one standard or upgraded to cope with the extra shove of the charger?

the front one is a vibratechnic mount, the gearbox a solid mk2 diesel one, and a standard rear engine mount, hopefuly a new one will find its way onto the car on friday. £85 :shock: for a piece of pipe, wish PhatVR6 had posted earlier, as it sounds cheaper/better. :(

my obd1 sc golf is exactly the same as your pic.mine burst an O ring in crack pipe that goes into the back of the themo housing.surely when FI the cooling system is under more pressure when driven hard?so likely to burst a seal/pipe or 2?

oh yeah sorry just remembered VAG parts.com quoted me £55 delivered for the pipe after I'd picked one up from VW..... sorry!