Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Leaking Boost through Boost/Bypass return valve...

Having a small problem at the moment.....

The car seems to leak boost when between 13-15 psi??

I have narrowed it down to the fact that the boost return valve is not strong enough to stay shut under these pressures?? when i had it off i could physically with ease open the valve when at full throttle.. surely it shouldnt open back up fairly easily as its meant to hold boost...

Anyway i conducted an experiment and cable tied the spring mechanism together so that it wouldnt open... went out and i had no boost leak at all!!

I didnt really wanna leave the cable tie on so took it off and the boost is leaking again...

Anyway am i looking at another bypass valve? or is there any other way of keeping the mechanism working as it should but not to leak the boost??

i have also seen the spindles of said part leak before.. the butterfly should be held closed via the elbow joint and the spring is just used to aid the relese so it shouldn't be the spring that casuing the issue.. Mike i have some spare throttle bodys if you wanted to come and borrow one to elimate.