Sign in to follow this  
Dave_P

Sump gasket question

Hi can anyone tell me what torque i need to tighten the 20 sump bolts ?

Also is it advisable to add a silicone seal to either side of the sump gasket ?

I say this coz i`ve picked up afew engines in my time and noticed silicone seal, and i`ve always noticed slight leaks, (with and without silicone tho), is this comon ? Or would this probably be the bolts not torqued ?

Any help/advice please..

My VR sump went on without any sealant and doesn't leak. Not sure of torque but I just nipped up the bolts. Quite easy to cross thread them.

sorry to hijack this treat abit guys but i think i mit have damaged my sump, its dented and there no holes. its just a scraped and oily! dont surpose uve got sum pics of it on the car? want to know if i should replace it, thanks alot.

While your in there add the sump baffle fitted to older golfs,very good and has rubber gaskets both sides,unlike the shiyte affair fitted to 2.0 9A valvers,g60s etc.

Don't forget to coat the new gasket with copperease grease that way when you need to remove the sump it will drop off no problem and can be re-used.

so i can should use the g60 gasket copper greased ? what should i torque it to ? 5nb ?

Is it comon that the g60 sump slightly seeps oil over time ?

Dave_P, you've not put what engine it is but I assume it's a G60??

Either use a new VAG gasket (metal and rubber) none of this compressed cork and rubber rubbish or (as above) use the windage tray from a mk3 TD... (to fit this you will need to remove the plastic guide around the oil pump) - see the KB guide!

No gasket sealent needed but lightly grease with engine oil and just tighten each bolt by hand with a screwdriver type socket holder (no extra torque) - same as I always do plastic coolant flanges and never had any probs with leaks...

cheers supercharged yes g60 supercharged, i`m getting my sump back from a fabricator tuesday as i had a oil temp sender tapped in. is the wt sumthing u can simply drop in ? may aswell whilst its off, can i get it from gsf of eurocar parts ? how much am i lookin at ?

Sorry to be another thread hijacker! but does anyone know what bit i need to fit the newer style VW sump bolts?

Part no. is : N 905 927 03, there like the normal bolts but they have a torx type fitting in the middle of them just want to know what fits it?

Thanks

Ian

hijackin is only for US airlines

Watch it mate, George W Bush will be after you :lol:

But if i were you i would do what Supercharged, says, get hold of a windage tray but make sure if you get a new sump get one from VAG because the one i got from GSF leaks like a bastard :-(