Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Pinking *Updated*

So done some searches and read some things, but wanted to ask a couple of questions to those eduicted folks who've done things with the Knock Sensor before.

I've setup the knock sensor to 15nm but still after a long run it pinks when the engine is shutoff. One of the problems might be that the torque wrench I have is huge and needs 2 adapters to get the right fitment on. So anybody know what size bolt is on the knock sensor and if I can get one to do on a large torque wrench (1/2 if that helps)

Also in a few posts I've seen people saying to check the timing. I've not got a timing light or any fancy tools, so is there anything I can do to set this without professional help ?

Maybe this is somehow connected to my erratic idle problem... I've set the idle by removing the blue temp sender and reving over 3k 3 times. Then set the idel screw and repeated. Set the idle to just under 1k and reconnected the blue temp sender. So while driving sometimes it idles at 750, and sometimes at about 1400. When I come back and reset the idle again to just under 1k, it happens all over again. Any thoughts ?????

Thanks for the help in answering another stupid question....

Ok so after sorting my flat battery I've finally had a chance to check this.

The car has a new blue temp sender (VAG part), new knock sensor (VAG part from old car, 9 months old) The knock sensor is setup to 15ft/lbs (20.34nm) as this is what most people are saying. Can anyone confirm this 100% :?:

I ran the car up from cold (been standing for a few weeks) and let it warm up for about 3 minutes. Then unplugged the blue temp sender and almost no change. A slight reduction in revs but nothing more. Plugged it back in and it rose back up a little. So revved it over 3000 rpm once and let it drop back. It dropped down to about 750 then up and down a few times to level out at about 1500.....

The thing that worries me more though it that the car was running for about 5 minutes and was only revved over 3000 rpm once for about a second. When I turned it off it pinked a lot.... and went on pinking for about 3/4 minutes. What's up with that ?????

Can anyone confirm this 100%

Yes, Bentley says 20 Nm for the G60 knock sensor.

Idle problems could stem from an ISV on its way out. Worthwhile trying another one.

Knock sensor: Check the loom to the ECU, especially the knock sensor wires.

To set ignition timing: If you can't get hold of a timing gun, any Bosch Service garage in or around Munich should be able to do this for you.

Tempest

Thanks for the confirmation tempest.... Was planning to strip off the ISV and clean it. I also have a spare I can try so might just go to the spare..

I'll check the knock sesnor loom, but was just worried that it pinking after only idling for a few minutes could mean that it's running too rich or something. I'll have to wait till March for timing as it's off the road till then (seasonal license for me this year)