Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

9A Thermostat help

The car has suddenly started to run cooler, and on the last couple of cold mornings, the oil hasn't reached 80 and the water has barely moved off the bottom of the dial.

Started from cold today, and the hoses to the radiator warmed up pretty quickly along with all the other water hoses. Am I right in thinking there shouldn't be any water movement to/from the rad until the water temp is at least 80C?

From this evidence, I reckon the stat has stuck open. Ordered a new one + housing. When I went to fit it today, I couldn't find the old one in the engine bay :oops: (not as straight forward as a VR!). Has anyone got any pics? Any tips on removal/fitting new one? I want this to be as pain-free as possible.

Got a feeling it's at the front of the engine at the bottom somewhere :? (hard to get at). Cheers! :)

Hi.

If its anything like my G60 Arghhhhh. The damn stat is located just above the power steering pump.

Remove the cast support bracket. X2 vertical bolts and 1 bolt into the pump. You will then see the plastic stat housing. X2 100mm bolts. Be careful these are known to shear!!!!! Nice..

I have had mine of 4 times in 2 days. Can't get the 3 new stats to open when in the car. Put em in a pan of water and...They open Go figure, running with no stat again.

:p

Can't win.

2_Door_fun, cheers matey. Sounds like a lot of hassle :(

Got any pics?

I have somewhere. Months back I did a how to on all this but nobody got back to me on how to upload it all.

I fitted a new waterpump n all soughts. Documented everything.

Anyway. Its not hard its just stupid. The stat is at the bottom of the engine??? Remove said stat and get covered in water??? You will get wet anyway.

Its 40 minute job to be honest. I have now done it to many times. My rad keeps getting airlocked so now running no stat.

Just pull the PS pump bracket and you'll see the stat housing.

Nowt to it really. It can be an arse getting the rubber 'O' ring on the stat housing to seat correct but other than that go for it.

:lol:

Cheers! Where is the PS pump/bracket? :oops:

Jack up drivers side of car.

Slide under front of car drivers side.

If layout is the same as a G60 you will see the PS pump. Will have a pulley and belt going to crank pulley at the bottom of engine block.

You'll see the PS pump has a bolt in an adjuster slot. The support bracket is part of this setup.

X2 bolts vertical and X1 going into pump adjuster bracket. Remove these 3 bolts and the cast alloy support wiill just pull away.

You should be able to trace the Rad lower hose all the way to the stat. You can see it if ya look Black plastic X2 10mm bolts. You have to remove the alloy supprt to get at it though.

Jack up the car and find the Rad lower hose and follow it across the front of car.

This will lead you to the stat and you will see what ya have to do.

All this is only relevant if your car (is it a 60 or valver?)

A valver may well be different. Never worked on one.

It's a valver, but from what you describe it sounds very similar. I'll have another go tomorrow and let you know how I get on- cheers for your help!

What a nightmare! Had a real go at it today. 2_Door_fun, there are the 3 bolts you mention, + one long one you have to remove from above, + another right next to the stat housing. All the others came off easily enough, but the last one simply wouldn't budge. Really hacked off- a real waste of a Saturday afternoon. Gonna have to go to the garage yet again as there's no way I can remove this.