Sign in to follow this  
cheesy

Revs up, losses power

i've got a 1.8 16v

had the head gasket done about 500 miles ago.

been fine since, went out in her today, not been out for a week.

went to accelarate and just looses power, shaking and chugging,seeming as if its not firing on all 4. let off and try again still the same.

pull up and pop bonnet theres a little spoke coming from the rad for a second.

turn off engine for a few mins.

start her up again, of i go no problems.

pull up a petrol station fill up, go to pull off again and the same thing happens as before

anyone got any ideas?

is your fuel pump noisy. common fault is the small pump in that tank dies, and the main one can't cope. When it struggles it usually buzzes, and doesn't deliver enough fuel, giving what you are describing. If it ticks over fine, all 4 cylinders are firing OK.

Fuel pump is £20 from VW, but be sure to give them the chassis number as they modded the strainer at some point.

spoke to c&r earlier and they think it could be a contact on the coil or the horsesender (spelling i think) has gone.

going to check coil 2morrow but waiting for my m8 to check distributar

have you every changed your fuel filter, my old fiesta filter got blocked, same thing happened.

horsesender, do you mean haulsender?

yeah thats the speeling nigel, not something i heard before.

i presume the fuel filter was done when the head gasket was done cos he replace quite a few bits that need doing, bearings, hoses etc

one thing i've learnt never asumer anything with garages, get down on your knees by the tank flap and check the filter is nice and new, you can see it just infront of the rear wheel.

i will have a look.

used the garage for the last few yrs, but he could of foggoten it

cheers chris

presume the fuel filter was done when the head gasket was done cos he replace quite a few bits that need doing, bearings, hoses etc

The fuel filter on a G60 is another one of those things that VW never change on a service! - being what it is, a filter, I cannot see how its expected to last 'forever' - not sure about the other models but I'm going to change mine soon I think for the sake of a fiver!

A possibility. I have had similar missing from my 16V after its been left standing for a while - turned out to be dirty plugs. Cleaning sorted it for a while, but a proper new set fixed it.

I checked all the connections on coil, took the cover off the distributar,there was little oil but nothing to write home about, cleaned it up.

put all back together, started fine went for a drive and all was fine, after about 5/10 mins when the engine was warm started to do the same and the engine just died.

tryed turning over but just won't fire.

the car had new plugs and leads 500 miles ago.

anyone got any more ideas?

think it could be the haulsender

think it could be the haulsender

Correct spelling is "hall sender". This is the sensor which tells the ECU when cylinder number 1 reaches TDC (top dead centre).

cheers stevemac.

would this cause the car to stop firing now?

is the easyiest way to replace the whole distributar as i hear u have to strip it down to change sensor?

Can't remember exactly which injection system the 1.8 16v uses but from memory I think it's Bosch K-jetronic semi-mechanical injection ??

Faulty hall sender would not necessarily cause the car not to spark but it may cause it to spark out of time with the pistons. You said there was a little oil in the distributor ?? Maybe this oil is causing the hall sender to short circuit ?? If so, you'll be better off changing the whole distributor or at least the seal ring around the shaft which fits into the engine crankcase. To have oil inside the distributor is not a good sign at all. Make sure to mark both the position of the distributor & rotor arm before removing it from the car.

When the engine cuts out & won't start, have you removed any of the spark plugs to see if they're sparking okay ??

Difficult to diagnose without seeing the car but from what you've said I'm fairly certain that the origin of your problem is a leaky seal ring which fits into the base of the distributor around where the shaft fits into it. The small amount of oil leaking past this seal could be starting to cause electrical faults inside the distributor.

Just be aware that this type of injection system does sometimes suffer from fuel starvation problems as other people have already suggested. I would change the main fuel filter every 2 years and given the age of the car I would also replace the fuel pump which fits inside the tank - both are easy & fairly inexpensive jobs to do. I would change these 2 parts & see if there's any improvement before attacking your distributor.

common fault is for the hall sender wires to short out and for the contacts in the plug to corrode. pull off the multi-plug and check all is clean and good. next remove cap, rotor and dust shield and look at the three wires that are in the base plate and see if any are cracked or splitting.

if all is okay start her up and wiggle the plug and see if that stops the engine, if so new dizzy.

if she cuts out when hot and doesnt restart for a while remove plug and check for a spark, if no spark, remove multi-plug from dizzy and put a piece of wire into the middle pin. now, whilst holding the coil lead close to a earth point with the ignition on, brush the wire to a earth point and if all is okay the lead will spark, and the injection pump will fire up briefly.

hope this helps.

The fuel filter on a G60 is another one of those things that VW never change on a service!-supercharged

its designed to last 50,000 so is changed at 40,000 service. thats what we do at work , but personally i change mine yearly or 12000

i was told it could be the fuel filter! if you can unscrew the plug and give it a bit of a clean, it should run ok.

if not then i guess its ya ditributor...i'm not good with mechanics, but i got the info off another guy at a show at silverstone a few weeks back. He too had a 1.8 16v, and told me it kept cutting out and not starting at all. VAG told him it could be ECU, but it turned out that the fuel filter needed cleaning or even replacing!

Cheers for the help guys going to get onto the case 2morrow

from the info u have given me i am almost certain its the hall sender and seal thats gone, shorting wires, the fit of where the multi plug goes into is loose so i think theres the prolem

The Problem is the distributar.

Ordered a new one today from vw, £87

Replacing the fuel filter aswell £13