Sign in to follow this  
claire.major

Overheating - Radiator fan not working!!

Right, noticed the water temp was mighty high (230f, so about 110c). Ran the engine and the rad fan is not coming on at all (it was about a month ago) Changed the fuse and no difference. Done some research on the forum and checked the pipes from the radiator and both are hot (top hotter then bottom if that makes a difference?) also tested the rad fan and it works at both high and low speed but will not come on automatically, am I right in thinking it sounds like a thermostat problem?

Sorry to start another overheating thread but feel I have got as far as I can searching the other threads without having it specific to my problem (if that makes sense!)

Any help would be great

Claire

Oh and while checking the water and oil temp senders to ensure they are connected ok I followed the wire to where the 2 small wires come out mid way and there is a third blue wire with connector not connected to anything, unsure if this is linked but may help someone!!!

PS if I need to check the thermostat please let me know where to locate it (sorry!!!!)

PPS its a 91 G60

Hi Claire, how did you test the fan coming on at both speeds?

That blue wire with connector is normal to be not connected - I think it's only for models with aircon...

If you tested the fan still in circuit then it won't be a fuse - I think the problem is the rad thermoswitch which is located half way between the top and bottom pipes on the rad with 3 wires going to it.

Hi Claire, how did you test the fan coming on at both speeds?

Done that bit of wire thing to check both speeds (shorting?!!) and all good.

If you tested the fan still in circuit then it won't be a fuse - I think the problem is the rad thermoswitch which is located half way between the top and bottom pipes on the rad with 3 wires going to it

Cool, thats what I thought but read so many threads about it I got confused!! Ill get a thermostat today and try to change in (found a good thread here http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... water+pump to tell me what to do!)

Ill let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the quick reply

You mean you unplugged the thermoswitch and shorted the wiring? - If so that proves it is the switch you need NOT the thermostat itself...

So you just need to buy the rad fan thermoswitch that screws into the radiatior, you can get these from GSF etc - you need a large adjustable spanner and will need to remove the battery for access, they can be swapped over without loosing much coolant.

You don't want to change the thermostat unless you have to as it's an arse of a job !

You mean you unplugged the thermoswitch and shorted the wiring? - If so that proves it is the switch you need NOT the thermostat itself...

So you just need to buy the rad fan thermoswitch that screws into the radiatior, you can get these from GSF etc - you need a large adjustable spanner and will need to remove the battery for access, they can be swapped over without loosing much coolant.

You don't want to change the thermostat unless you have to as it's an arse of a job !

Yeah I removed the connector thing on the right hand side of the radiator and shorted it, both fan speeds worked fine!

Thought the thermostat sounded like a pain. Ill go up GSF in a bit and get a rad fan thermoswitch. There is 3 on the website, a low temp general use, high temp general use and 3 pin with cover!!

Hold on, i think I asked for the part number on here when getting mine - the one you need has 3 pins in a line - they will try and sell you a round connector most likely!

(make sure you have a spanner big enough or a socket that will go over the connector - it's about 30mm i think but actually an imperial size)

Thanks so much for all your help, ill let you know how I get on. Would the rad fan thermoswitch also affect the run on fan too?

Hi.

You seem to be having trouble same as me.

My 60 has no fan action. It never has and teh car has a documented history of overheating. 3 headgasket jobs plus a 4th by me and a cylinder head skimming.

I have replaced my thermoswitch 3 times and still no fan???

The run on circuit should be fine aslong as the fan has power. My run on always worked.

Now I have my rad fan set to a dash mounted switch and it wrks fine. All the switch does is really short the circuit as you yourself have done. Its just a bit more controlled.

You may want to look at the thread I started here

It would be interesting to see if you have the relays nr your water expansion bottle. I posted a photo of a part on ebay.

It would be interesting to see if you have the relays nr your water expansion bottle. I posted a photo of a part on ebay.

yeah my relay is there.

Just fitted the new rad fan thermoswitch and no differnce to the running temp but the lower hose on the radiator is now cold and top hose incredibly hot. Both oil and water getting to about 110c!!! No fans at all and no fans when ignition switched off!

Am I looking at a thermostat replacement?

Wow we really do have same problems.

I run the car with no thermostat at all.

Nowt but trouble. I fit em get airlocks n all soughts. No matter how I fill the car. Say from top hose or where ever no difference.

I bought an 80°C stat the otherday. A Neuspeed item still no difference. Always a cold lower hose and a red hot top hose.

No stat in the car all is well.

Interesting your car having the relays mine does not :roll:

Same problem as mine too, but I'm a boy and got less responses :lol: :lol:

I collected the new thermostat today and might try and have a bash at fitting tomorrow. I will also try and take a couple of snaps for the other non-mechanical people.

2_Door_fun - where did you get the neuspeed stat? I was looking on the net for one of these but could only see them for sale as part of a kit containing chip, pully etc.... If it doesnt work on your car do you want to sell it? :wink:

claire.major, hmmm - yeah sounds like the stat needs doing as well then... make sure you buy a new plastic housing, O ring and bolts...

2_door - sounds to me like you have a blockage somewhere??

claire.major, hmmm - yeah sounds like the stat needs doing as well then... make sure you buy a new plastic housing, O ring and bolts...

2_door - sounds to me like you have a blockage somewhere??

I tend to agree with your 'I have or may have a blockage' Also Claire def get the new plastic housing for the stat. Always nice when it cracks and yr doing it on a Sunday :mad:

So my rad is hot all the way down. I even drilled 2 1mm holes in the stat to stop a pos air bubble and still it will not pull through. 3 stats now. I have many cooling probs with the car. All very manageble now but when 1st had the car oh man.... :cry:

As soon as I remove the stat the whole system is fine. Obviousley as Winter comes on the heater n engine temp will prob suffer a bit?

What ya sugest bud.

I recently flushed the Rad top and bottom it seemed to run well enough??

Got a new stat and tested both that and the old one in hot water but neither of them of them seem to be moving at all?? How long should it take, sorry if I'm being dumb.

Got a new stat and tested both that and the old one in hot water but neither of them of them seem to be moving at all?? How long should it take, sorry if I'm being dumb.

All these things are a pain :lol:

Boil kettle and pour in pan on heat.

Drop stat in and it should open within 30 sec. They work weird nothing seems to happen then when you look at it again its open.

The centre disc will slowley depress and open up about an inch or so. Watch for the other end moving forward.

All three of mine worked in the pan but in car :p

Ok, just getting the thermostat out to test it before I put everything back together and pop, both (yep both) nuts hold the the elbow snap!! What the hell do I do now? Guessing a visit to a garage?

Do you mean bolts?

I ordered two new ones and when I opened the bag from VW I had 5 so Ive got 3 spare :D

Doesnt help you with getting the broken ends out of the water pump though :(

Do you mean bolts?

I ordered two new ones and when I opened the bag from VW I had 5 so Ive got 3 spare :D

Doesnt help you with getting the broken ends out of the water pump though :(

Yeah bolts and have to get the ends out of the water pump. Got more new bolts so thats not a problem but how the hell can I get the sheared ends out? Drill them?

Ok, just getting the thermostat out to test it before I put everything back together and pop, both (yep both) nuts hold the the elbow snap!! What the hell do I do now? Guessing a visit to a garage?

OK bolts shear off. Can ya remove the plastic elbow? Will it just pull down and off?

If so then you may be lucky and have a length of thread sticking out from the water pump.

If ya do then get a pair of grips, mole grips. clamp these on and waggle the bolt thread. Do this as it will break any corrosion grip the pump threads will have. Then twist out the snapped stud.

Pity I don't live down there any more. Coul;d have popped over n looked at it.

Failing this you will be best fitting a whole new water pump. £30 from VW. That is an easy job.

Good luck. get back if ya need any help.

There is a tool called an easy out, its basically a bolt threaded the wrong way. You drill a small hole into the end of your sheared bolt and by tightening the easy out into the bolt you extract it. My mate did something similar removing his cylinder head. Was tricky, but worked in the end.

http://toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

Not sure if they make them for blots as small as that.

Water pump costs 30 quid plus 4-5 hrs labour.

Yeah the elbow came away there is hardly any of the sheared bolt showing so doubt they will "wiggle" free but Ill spend a bit of time seeing what I can sort! That whole screw extractor thing kinda makes sense, Ill see what I can sort!

Thanks for your help.