Sign in to follow this  
A-J

1.8 16v won't start

Had the Corrado less than a week and today it's refusing to start. It has been making a grinding noise when starting but it always fired up. This morning started it first time and moved it out the drive. Went to start it 20 mins later and there was nothing. Had a few more goes and still nothing. Tried it 20 mins later and I got the grinding noise but as if it's trying to start but it wouldn't turn over. Tried again and nothing. I'm getting all the right flashing lights and fuel pump noise.

Is it likely to be the ignition switch or should I go for a new starter motor first?

have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer ;-) sometimes the brushes carbon up and stick

or put it in third gear and push it a little backwards and forwards

does it sometimes just click when you try to start it ?

difficult to tell from the description if its electrical, starter motor (worn contaminated bendix) or starter ring tbh

Could be both, but I think more likely the starter motor, especially with the "grinding noise". My ignition switch is on its way out, but if I just turn the key at a slightly different angle its fine. I think you would know if it was the iginition switch just from turning the key

I've never had just a click when trying to start it. Tried it again there and I got the grinding/grating noise and it fired up. Switched it off and tried again and it started. I will need to get it sorted before it refuses all together though.

Sounds like the starter... no point mesing abt with a 2nd hand one, get a new one from G&S abt £100 & you'll get some beer money back when you return yr old one.. the ignition switch aint alot from VAG...

i would take the starter off and have a look , you can wizz it over by connecting straight to the battery but be careful it'll dance around like a mother :-) , if its noisey change it also check the teeth on the bendix (small gear at the end)

hth

Yip, time to join the AA I think. Will a starter motor for a mk2 golf 8v GTi fit the C?

Hi

Before ordering a starter, I would disconnect the battery negative terminal and disconnect and clean properly and reconnect the the big connectors at the solenoid and also the 2 spade connectors at the solenoid.

also check the voltage at the solenoid from the battery positive.

keep me informed.

would'nt have thought the battery would cause a grinding /grating noise from the starter but hey i'm never ceased to be suprised

would'nt have thought the battery would cause a grinding /grating noise from the starter but hey i'm never ceased to be suprised

Yep had it on the G60 when the battery was dead - 6v but i think the noise was more to do with lack of cranking ampage

Just checked the battery and its 12.3 V. As soon as the rain eases off I'll give the starter a clean. The last time it refused to start I was at the dealers. Luckily after 10 minutes it fired up or they could have had £140 from me for a new starter.

The battery could give you a reading of 12.3v but still give you problems when starting, i had similar problems, although the starter turned the engine it wouldn't start, charged(eventually replaced) the battery and all was well.

I had 12v but this dropped to around 5v when cranking the engine.

Good luck

The battery was only droppiong to 11V when starting. I started to take the starter motor off when the weather was getting too bad and I decided to pack it in. Hooked up all the connections and when I tried to start it all I got was a click! What have I done? Had a look for thing I could have forgot to plug in but no joy.

A-J, you've either got a poor connection , the battery is dead or the starter is stuck , put it in third gear rock the car backwards and forwards and try it again

is the starter on or off the car ?

battery 12.3v ?............. sounds knackered ! ..... try jump starting it mate, if it starts .... the batterys thrown its hand in

GIXXERUK, turned out to be a poor connection. Disconnected everything, stuck it back together again and it fired up. Cheers. I think I'll leave the outside stuff until drier times and have a go fixing the heater blower. I've missed VW's!!

Yip, I had the same problem on my golf. Sorted now and I managed to stay dry, result!

My new starter arrived a couple of days ago the weather has been so bad I've not been able to fit it yet. The car has been starting fine until this morning when I turned the key and got the dreaded click. Luckily I still had the clio and could get to work. If only everything in life was reliable as a Renault! :(