Sign in to follow this  
A-J

1.8 16v won't start

I changed the starter today which got rid of the grinding noise. It has started without a problem so far, if it keeps it up I'll be able to finally get rid of the clio :)

I moved my car last night only a couple of feet and she started no problem, but then today I have this problem. Similar to above only not as much grinding, just a reluctance to fire up. Sometimes on the first turnover it will give a grind and sounds like it wants to go but doesn't, then any time after it sounds like it's trying but just not enough there. Tried jump leads and sounds like there's enough power there but just won't turn over.

Not a mechanic or anything but suspect it's the starter motor and willing to try to solve this myself. So I need help with locating the starter motor :oops: and a part number. Seen different starter motors on the net for 16v's and wondering which one to go for, and I also cant see something similar in my engine bay. Willing to give this a go myself as I don't wanna pay for call out, but am I being nieve ?

It's not a difficult job. Basically 2 bolts.

I ordered my Starter motor from GSF, £65 IIRC. Just had a look for the part number from my old one but couldnt find it. I managed to get the right unit by selecting year and model on the GSF website. If you have the bonnet up and are facing the engine it's on the right hand side at the bottom, next to the gearbox. You will see a bunch of wires leading to it. If you have the new starter it will give you a good idea of whats involved just by looking at it.

First step is to disconnect the -ve terminal of the battery. Next remove all electical connections to the starter. Undo the bolt at the bottom and bolt at the top of the starter. You will be able to just pull the starter out. Slip the new one in, tighten bolts and connect all wires back up.

You may need to disconnect a couple of other conections for better access along the way. There is a metal part that is over the spindle of your new unit but often the old one is stuck in when removing the starter. This means that the new starter won't fit in so remove this part before fitting.

Let me know if you need any more help, but if I can do it I'm sure you'll manage

Thanks A-J, I thought it was located there but got confused as it didnt look like the ones being sold on GSF, doesnt sound to difficult so i'll order one up and give it a go. Hopefully it sort the problem out. Do you have the part number of your new starter motor? Thanks again

Looks like it but just checked the one I took off and the ebay one has an extra hole for a third bolt.

Can anyone confirm, do I need the exact part number that A-J, has listed or will the one in the ebay link above do the same job or do I need the one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1 which is also listed as a corrado starter? or one of the others listed on GSF website :crazyeyes: or does it really matter as long as it starts the f*cking car :scratch:

I used GSF because I needed the part quick and without hassle. Just ordered it form their website and it arrived the next day which meant I could fit it that weekend. I've still to return my old unit to get my surcharge back though.