Sign in to follow this  
capnahab

Ingnition Switch wont come out

The girlfriend's ignition switch on her G reg corrado valver has given up the ghost.I bought one from GSF today. My only issue is there appears to be no screw visible anywhere for me to undo to remove the old switch. any ideas?

Currently running the new switch, just got it zip ties below the knackered one, starting the car with a screwdriver.. classy :)

theres a how to in the knowledge base IIRC you can access the screw from the bottom, seat out, head on brake pedal with a slightly bent watchmakers screwdriver

HTH

ben

yeah ive read those, but theres no screw hole visible from the bottom, its all solid metal underneath there, (second pic down) im totally puzzled. i've had the seat out and got right under there but cant see how its staying in

this could just be a gues but on mk2 golfs you had to drill a hole to release a spring lock, it involved taking all the surround and steering wheel etc off (haynes manual says where),

just a thought as its an early rado it could have used a mk2 part on the switch housing?

then again i could be totally wrong!!

I did this last week, pain in the feckin arse too! mines an 89 valver, the steering wheel and stalks have to come off then the splined section needs to be removed using a puller. After that you need to undo the 6mm allen bolt and slide the whole lock mechanism off (there is also a spring behind there i think aswell). Once it is off the screw is easy to see. I would have bought a vw ignition switch though as i have not heard many good things about the gsf ones. Only cost 23 quid (Think this switch is used in the 6n shape polo but it is a direct replacement)

Hope this helps

Just had a new one in on Monday night, £15 from VW. On a late VR6 with the adjustable steering column, all my brother had to do (he's a VW mechanic, so he does this stuff for me!), was remove the wheel, stalks and cowling, then use a bent screwdriver to get at a small screw behind the switch. Whole job took him about 20 minutes.

Take a look at this article, may be of some help (wouldn't worry about removing the seat, though!!): http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... eplacement

Right Waynos I was thinking Id have to take everything off, bollocks :( I paid £11.47 including VAT in GSF. She's using the new switch to start the car at the moment and it seems to be OK, fingers crossed.

Screw is at top of picture. You need a jewlers screwdriver and its got to be bent. The screw is not easily visible at all.

screw.jpg

To be honest its a wonder the screwe holds it in. two turns and its on the footwell floor. Mighty :p to get out.

Look at my shot then at yours. The screw hole you are looking at is not a screw hole. Its a hole. The screw resides toward the clocks at the back and in a recess. You can see my clock plastic surround on the picture. This sholud give you enough to spot the area.

You need a "bendy" screwdriver, to get access. OR if you dont have one just bend one urself!

Its a right b***h to get out. Good luck.

Hmmm.... I managed to change my ignition switch without bending the screwdriver

Bloody difficult to remove that screw, but it's not actually screwed in that tightly (well it wasnt on mine!)

It was on mine! I had to sit upside down on my driver seat with my head resting on the pedals to see the bugger and get it out.

Righto chaps, so its in the back here? Im sure there was nothing there, and I suspect that I have the MK2 setup as its an early Rado, so I think its possible different on here

Also there wern't any screws in this area (second pic) at all viewing from the back, but there may well have been something up by the clocks I didnt check

Hmm.

That screw is very tucked away. My photo is of it on its way out.

I do agree your ignition clamp is different to mine so you may be correct about things being different.

trust me everything has to come off.mine is nothing like the pics from 2_door_fun, more like the last pics! extremly fiddly job, hopefully my switch will last a few more years before i have to go back under there!

If its a fixed column then it's in a slightly different place...

And yeah, bin the yellow switch and get the new polo 6N part from VW - will last another 15 years rather than 6 months!