Sign in to follow this  
Philj

Power steering problem

The power steering judders quite harshly at low speeds, squeeks, and the belt whines. Is the pump most likely at fault here? Can I use a pump from a mk2 golf?

have you checked your fluid?

a new belt shouldnt cost that much?

IIRC a new pump is £160-ish so i`d look for the cheap things first

HTH

ben

Only got the car today, so havent checked the fluid, think its got a spair belt in the boot anyway. My mates breaking a golf 16v, so I was hoping I could chav the pump from that...

If you're lucky its just the belt, I've had the problems you describe and a new belt done up bloody tight has solved the problems. Now turns out the rack is fcuked but that's another matter.

The power steering judders quite harshly at low speeds, squeeks, and the belt whines. Is the pump most likely at fault here? Can I use a pump from a mk2 golf?

providing you get a pump with the same offset from the body then it should work fine, some do have a different angle of return hose from the reservoir too.

I've noticed a lot of VW's and SEATs use the same pump (even some pug 306s!) but some of the mk3 golfs use a different shaft length/offset so measure carefully!

The exchange pump I got from GSF has worked perfectly for over six years and the shaft still has no play, whereas most of the S/hand ones seem to have play in now.

I did find that it's actually often the valve inside the pump body which is at fault and I fixed mine by replacing with a valve from a s/hand passat pump. They basically just unscrew from under the pressure hose union if you remove the pressure hose first.

The pump is obviously driven all the time by the belt, and this valve only provides pressure to the rack when the rack valves are opened by turning the wheel, for some reason the valve in the pump can get stuck, causing the pump to pump hard and whine away all the time, this in turn puts pressure on the main hose to the rack and they often start to leak at the flex pipe joint to the rigid pipe near the rack union.

David.