Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

re-silvering headlights?

Is it possible to re silver the inside of a headlight?

A friend of mine has an alfa sz 8) and the relay went fubar this weekend causing a bulb explosion. As such he now has two headlights out and new ones are not available,

Am wondering if anyone knows of somewhere that can re-silver the inside or if chroming might be a possibility?

looked into this a long time ago and I was told the cost was pretty prohibitive, special vacuum process or something as the parts are plastic. It almost always works out cheaper to buy new (if available) or second hand replacements.

Unfortunatly Alfa dont make them and as the SZ were such a limited run. No one seems to have spares. The only available replacement is a direct swap buying direct from Lamborgini.

These parts are metal, so Im guessing it could be chromed.

These parts are metal, so Im guessing it could be chromed.

In that case, get the yellow pages out and call one of the 'croming' companies (or whatever they come under), I'd imagine you'd get at least some info out of one or two of them, not so easy to find anyone to re-coat plastics.

Give these guys a call.....

IIRC they can pretty much chrome anything....

London Chroming Co

735 Old Kent Road

London

SE15 1JL

telephone: 020 76396434

I tried chrome paint which doesent look all that bad but wasnt all that reflective. I bought some self adhesive mirror film and that has done the trick, just a little fiddly as you have to do it in a few parts to get it to sit right in the curved reflector.

I had my Anglia headlight reflectors rechromed. Not cheap (about £50 for 2 x 7" dia) but well worth it. I'd be tempted to have the pair done unless the other side is mint.

Another trick often used is to paint the inside white.