Sign in to follow this  
Aus

Occasional non starter

Have a 1.8 which has been 100% reliable for the 3 years we've had it except ... every time you lock the car, the cl pump makes an intermittent noise for 1-2 mins and, not sure if this is related but every 6-9 months or so, when we go to start it (generally after it has been left for 12-24hrs) it fails to start (doesn't seem to be weather related), the engine doesn't turn over or if it does, it's as if the battery's flat, the dash makes an electrical 'screech' noise for 1-2 secs, the rev counter flips round, the trip counter, and sometimes the stereo all revert back to 0/default settings. If I rock the starter motor it doesn't help. There appear to be no charging probs from the alternator, I think as the car starts instantly irrespective of weather 99.9% of the time. We try jump starting which works occasionally but not always. If I charge the battery for a few hours, the car's fine, starts instantly and no sign of starting probs for months (altho the cl still, as it has always done, rumbles away after locking!). Each service has given the car a clean bill of health, and the local garages suggest they will only look at the car when it's in a disabled state ... Any clues???

Thanks in advance!

possibly the cl pump runs overnight/for hrs and runs the battery down..maybe try disconecting it for a while

otherwise vw's seem to have poor wiring..i remade a set for the battery earth ,pos,alt-starter conection ..it turns alot quicker now

Sounds like you've a leak in your central locking pipework which is causing the pump to fire for the extra minute or two when you lock it...

I don't think that the C/L would cause your flat battery, that's more likely to be a light somewhere that's been knocked on or similar... Check your glove box light (althought this should only work with the ignition on) and the boot light as these are not visible from outside the car and if left on for 24hours will flatten a battery, could also be the standard dodgy earth wire from the battery to the gearbox which will cause most of the problems you mention with the flat battery (although not the C/L problem! :lol: )

The "start" switch on corrado ignitions are notorious for flaking out. Try hooking up a remote start switch directly to the solenoid and see if it cranks over fine then.

Skye

I had exactly the same problem, but generally only when it was damp out,ie first thing in the morning. My rev vounter would also spin round, and then the car would fire up. I assumed it was a dodgy connection in the fuse box somewhere, i took the starter off to check, and it did have a bit of dirt around the connections,but unfortunatley the cars half stripped now, so i cant be any more help. :shock: