Sign in to follow this  
kongo127

1992 G60 Booked to Repray

Well, i´ve been saving up for a respray since the first day i bought it.

The original colour is Flash Red, and to be honest i don´t like it very much.

I bought it, because it was a very good deal, and the car really runs great!

I spoke with the body shop guy about changing the car´s colour. He said that it´s no problem. He will de-polish the whole car and then apply any other colour that i may want.

Is this the correct way to do it?

I´m affraid to get some chicken spots with the years (on the car! LoL), which is very easy to get at the front.

I heard about some sand jets to remove the whole paint, but it sounds like a large amount of money... And that body shop doesn´t do it.

I would like to know your opinons on this kind of job, as it´s the first time i´m going to paint one of my cars.

Any good / bad experiences with this?

I´m tempted to go for the brilliant black metallic, quartz metallic or moonlight blue. :)

Cheers in advance!

Only thing with a colour change is that the engine bay will always be red unless you strip the whole car down?

Correct, mate of mine in Germany had his dark-burgundy G60 resprayed into a light blue Alfa Romeo colour. Unless you opened his engine bay, you couldn't see the original colour anymore.

Tempest

I´m thinking to strip down the complete car by myself.

Of course it also includes all the interior.

About the engine bay... I wouldn´t like to remove the engine.

Maybe i can tell the body shop guy just to clean/degrease the engine bay and paint over it till where the paint gun can reach?

Thanks for the help guys! :)

kongo127 - de-polish i assume he means giving it a etch which means removing the top edge so the paint so new paint has something to stick to.

If thats the case that is the proper way off doing it.

like suggested strip the car to nothing u can leave the front and rear windows as srayer will have enough room and degrease as much before u go down to him i.e in the engine bay

u also might want to smooth some things out in the engine bay as well ;) make it look ncie and tidy.

just saw ur engine comment

trust me mate its well easy to remove engine and atleast he be able to spray even everwhere.

just saw ur engine comment

trust me mate its well easy to remove engine and atleast he be able to spray even everwhere.

OK! :)

I´m going to take a look at the Bentley Manual to see what´s involved in getting the engine out...