Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Running too cool and bad hot starting?

My car has recently started running really cool, well going by the gauges.

I can't get the oil temp above 80 max, and thats giving it some for 30 mins, and coolant sits at about 75!

It appears that the bottom hose is not getting very hot at all. I know it should be cooler than the top hose being the cooler output side of the rad, but its only luke warm and i think by heat soalk.

I've got a brand new stat and housing and water pump. Got good oil presure, and the heater works fine, and also the engine warms up reasonably quickly and then stays too lower temp as stated.

Also, its a bitch to re-start when its warm, I have to give it loads of throttle and it slutters away and finally fires up. Its going like stink so no worries there.

Whats wierd is, if the new stat is stuck open it would take longer to heat up and id expect the bottom hose to be hotter after a run. If its stuck closed then i'd expect the water temp to keep climbing and the thing to over heat.

Anyone got any idea what the hell is going on!!??

I dont think its related, but when i started it from cold the other day none of the instruments worked (rev counter, mfa, speedo etc etc). Then after it got warm they all flicked back on!!??