Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Rear caliper wind back tool/ Bearings

Hi

Right am gonna tackle the rear bearings this weekend, never done it before so slighty nervous of what am doing :-(

Order the bearing repair kit from VW as well as the rear discs and pads, is there anything else i need?

Also need a caliper wind back tool, which one to get thou?

Seen these on ebay Any good?

Cheers

Ian

If you have a local Halfords,just pop i there as they will sell you a Sykes Picavant one for sensible money.

The Draper tool in the ebay auction should be OK for most of us, picked mine up in my local business-only automotive factors for 4 quid :-)

Tempest

You need an 8mm hexagon (Allen) key to undo the caliper carrier bolts. They will be VERY tight, so make sure that the key is well-and-truly into the socket before you start heaving and that it is kept fully engaged during the undoing process, or you will round it out. It's a good idea to put in new bolts on reassembly.

Soak the bolts in releasing fluid (WD40 is ok, PlusGas is better, Wurth Rost-Off Ice is the best but hard to find).

The new bearings can be tapped in using appropriately sized sockets.

Best wishes

RB

The new bearings can be tapped in using appropriately sized sockets.

Does that work? When I was doing the rears on mine I had a quick bash, didn't like the look of it and took them straight down the local garage to get them pressed in. I was a bit worried I was gonna damage something by hammering it in....do you need to 'tap' it pretty hard?? :)

Yup, did the same on my Mk2 Storm Rocco's rear bearings where despite using drums, the inside, i.e. the bearing assembly in particular is identical to that found on rear disks on Corrados.

Tempest

did mine recently , not half as bad as you would think, you will need some grease unless the kit supplies this ? clean the 8mm bolts out with a small screwdriver so the allen key gets a good purchase, i used a bar on my allen key and they were ok , you'll see what i mean when you do it but to get the abs cages off just put a screwdriver through the bolt hole and tap, they come off easy

oh yeah get some copper grease for the rear of your pads

I think i used a 22mm socket over mine and bashed it with a wooden mallet.

Perfect.

Don't forget to clean your discs with meths or something to remove any grease.

I think i used a 22mm socket over mine and bashed it with a wooden mallet.

Perfect.

Don't forget to clean your discs with meths or something to remove any grease.

mmm, a lot of disks come with a protective oil film so the whole thing needs thoroughly cleaning both sides even if they look clean or you'll contaminate your pads badly, brake cleaner or meths OK.

Soak the bolts in releasing fluid (WD40 is ok, PlusGas is better, Wurth Rost-Off Ice is the best but hard to find).

RB

Hi

Can you please enlighten on how Wurth Rost-Off Ice works and why it is best.

Cheers

You need an 8mm hexagon (Allen) key to undo the caliper carrier bolts. They will be VERY tight,

possible WARNING

Not sure what the VR6 is like, but on the corrado you have to be careful of the rubber sheath over the sliding pins. To prevent the sliding pins from rotating, there is a nut that you put your open-ended spanner on; then you can heav-ho on that allen key as much as you like. Should the rubber sheath break, you have to buy a new pair of VAG.

Can you please enlighten on how Wurth Rost-Off Ice works and why it is best.

It's a releasing agent like PlusGas but it also chemically changes the temperature of stuff it's sprayed onto to also help release seized bolts...

Rather than messing around too much tho I would recommend everyone on here to get a set of Irwin Bolt Grippers (machine mart) - took me about 10 mins to get all four rear carrier bolts off...

Well that was fun!

Was going quite well until my mate said heres a tip my dad told me: "tighten the bolt up that holds the hub in place as far as it goes" which he was swinging on with a pry bar, and before i finished my sentence of "i don`t think you should be putting that much force onto it" the bolt had lost all its thread and the thread on the stub axle was damaged :-(

Now instead of me saving some money i got to get a whole new stub axle :mad:

NOT HAPPY!

Anyone know if the new stub axle comes with a ABS sensor because we managed to separate the two halves of the sensor but it looks like its moulded into the stub axle itself?

Nooooo that bolt is only meant to be just barely hand tight! Hope he's paying for the new parts!

I wish, Gonna cost me a fortune by the looks of it to replace the stub axle and ABS sensor :-( but he did offer to come and fit the new parts :shock:

I wish, Gonna cost me a fortune by the looks of it to replace the stub axle and ABS sensor but he did offer to come and fit the new parts

A better idea for you get your mate to buy the parts and you fit them :thumbleft:

Well got the new stub axle and ABS sensor today from VAG

Cost me £220 with 15% discount :-(

Fitted the new parts myself and touch wood all seems fine, went for a quick test run and no more droning noise and the brakes feel better :-)

Haven`t heard a word from my mate, so hopefully he will keep away for a while :mad:

Later

Ian