Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Driving 2.0 on 1.8 set up

Just a quickie, i have done a 2.0 from a 1.8 conversion on my valver, but i cant get it tuned for a few weeks, am i going to be running lean, and burn some nice holes in my pistons or will it be ok,

I ask because its running hotter than before the transplant, but that could be an old sensor etc?

Andy

Just a quickie, i have done a 2.0 from a 1.8 conversion on my valver, but i cant get it tuned for a few weeks, am i going to be running lean, and burn some nice holes in my pistons or will it be ok,

I ask because its running hotter than before the transplant, but that could be an old sensor etc?

Andy

It should be fine, you could drill the top off the tamper proof cap on the back of the warm up regulator and turn the adjuster a small amount (say 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn), drive for a day or two then check one of your plugs, if they start to look a bit sooty then it may be a little on the rich side.

If you turn it the wrong way and lean it off it will kill the performance so you'll soon know.

IIRC Anti-clockwise reduces control pressure which makes the air flap move more and so it runs richer through the rev range.

without test equipment, plugs are your best guide to whether it's running to hot, lean or rich.

The 2.0 will generate a bit more heat than a 1.8 but if the engine is run in it shouldn't really be noticeable.

Ah nice one, i was i bit worried as it used to sit dead on 90 maybe get to 95-100 in a baking hot day stuck in traffic, but seems to run at 100 now, and go up to 110 when cruising at 80-90!!! but it was on min oil as well :oops:

The bottom ends covered about 60k, but head was completely re built, new seals valves and port and polished so might get temps up a bit u dunno!

Just so long as i dont fook my new engine up im happy!!

Andy

Ah nice one, i was i bit worried as it used to sit dead on 90 maybe get to 95-100 in a baking hot day stuck in traffic, but seems to run at 100 now, and go up to 110 when cruising at 80-90!!! but it was on min oil as well :oops:

The bottom ends covered about 60k, but head was completely re built, new seals valves and port and polished so might get temps up a bit u dunno!

Just so long as i dont fook my new engine up im happy!!

Andy

don't cook it whatever you do, there's not much room for skimming the head on a 16v and you don't want to junk the head.

Keep a close eye on both oil and water temp, as a guide mine runs about dead on the mid mark for water and at about 100 oil, that's properly set up on the rollers running tesco 99 and with a new (but not VAG) radiator.