Sign in to follow this  
cupra20v.t

what oil and how much for my 16v box

i have a 2.0 16v box that im using for my mk3 golf 20vt conversion, but i dont know what type oil to put into it and how much to use.

any advice is appreciated.

will a corrado shifter fit my mk3 tunnel? looking at my mk3 shifter and tunnel, in the centre of the tunnel and in front of the shiter(from inside the car) is a threaded bolt/bar that protrude into the car and is bolted down onto the tunnel, (im not sure if this bolt is attached to the shifter but look like it is) the mk3 shifter is still on the car and the corrrado shifter doesnt have a central protruding threaded bar so im worried it wont fit or be the wrong the shape for the tunnel and mounting points.

VW spec oil was originally G50, but this is no longer used by VW parts depts so the number I was quoted yesterday was G052 726 A2 (£4 a litre), that's mineral oil.

The synthetic version used in the 6 speed boxes is G052 171 A2 and will set you back 11 quid a litre.

2 litres of both needed.

The Corrado uses the same gear cables as the mk3 golf, so I'd imagine you could use either shifter mech.

ok cool, is there a version of oil like engine oil 10w40? as i will proabably be getting it from a motor factors or GSF as i get trade discount.

original spec was 75W90 GL4, but viscosity varies with brands and that can affect cold changes quite dramatically, the synthetic VW stuff really helps here, I'd go to VW if you only want the mineral stuff as it's only 4 quid a litre, but any other 75W90 GL4 should do, the Halfords shelf-front books have a suggested oil listed.

If you want to improve the shift quality, many folks suggest using something other than VW oil in the gearbox. I've personally used Redline MT90 and it was definately better quality than OEM.

If you want to improve the shift quality, many folks suggest using something other than VW oil in the gearbox. I've personally used Redline MT90 and it was definately better quality than OEM.

I've used the VW fully synthetic before, very good stuff and exactly the right spec for the VW boxes, it was just too expensive, but it's now 11 quid a litre which is basically the same as all the other fully synthetics I've found, Mobil, Silkoline etc...