Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

what to do , what to do failed mot handbrake.

Pics can be found at http://neurochef.co.uk/car/

ok firstly sorry if this is in the wrong area. As some people may have know i put my car up for sale last year because i wasn't sing it. Im still not using it but decided to keep it as a "toy" ie just use it on occasional weekend (not a good idea folks).

Due to a further change my 1.8 16v corrado ended up hardly moving all winter. Anyway still runs happily enough but im now tempted again to sell as its breaking my heart to see the car sit and not be used ( i just can't use it for work as theres no parking etc.. and apart from the occasioanl weekend ive no need to use anything bar public trans).

Anyway i thought to myself ill mot it again (as mot had ran out) and see how i feel after this , thinking if i drive her a few times ill just go back to going for runs / blasts (otherwise known as wasting petrol :) ) .

Now i know the cars not worth a lot but i dont want it going to some nova jerk down the road and the moment wouldn't like to break it.

anyway back to the point it failed mot and the guy who did the mot did quite a number see below:

parking brake lever no reserve travel - what? would adjust cable sort this? or is it two new cables time?

rear brake load sensing valve linkage seized - soak it and work it? i dont know much about this bit

parking brake efficiency below requiremnts aparently one caliper did not come at all with parking break , cable or work caliper?

Oh btw all brakes work with footpedal - passed fine.

fog lamps didnt work - what a d*ck he didnt put the switch on till it was lit up hence didnt work - ahem.

wipers not cleaning screen properly - bend them in and change blades

nearside front headlight light output reduced - bad earth?

lights not secure - one clip on each light has snapped but i fixed with a glass fibre bond but the b pulled it and snapped it so it now moves about 2mm see pics , im going to araldite them and put a a metal plate on each to reinforce.

fuel cap washer deterioated - what a b*s**rd , see pics

front to rear brake pipes inadequately clipped - he told me the clips were still there just needed clipped in what a b , see above comment.

Anyway could someone please read the above and give me an opinon on

A: whether what im suggesting to fix these problems is right and would pass mot.

B: Whether they think its worth it or not, ie keeping as a just for fun car , im not using the car much at all the now and have no need for one living in the city. At the mo im tempted to sell to the next decent person who gives me a decent hard cash offer for it providing their not a nova jerk boy racer.

anyway rant over . Mods if theres a more suitable area please move my post as its mainly handbrake it failed on i posted it her.

Without reading your entire post ;-), sounds like a seized rear caliper. Just have a look around (use search eg.) for similar problems, as there are 2 ways to resolve this:

Upgrade the rear calipers to Mk4 Golf units (which is what I did), or rebuild the existing calipers yourself (someone has recently posted a very useful thread/how-to here).

Tempest