Sign in to follow this  
tyrone670

Rusty Front Subframe

Hi people, this is a first post for me as i'm a newbie so hope this makes sense!!

Just within the last month i became the proud owner of a 1990 Corrado 1.8 16v, when buying the car i did the best i could to look out for anything that was likely to cost me big bucks, as you generally do (especially when ur a youngen like me)!

Unfortunately after getting it up on a ramp i have found that the sub frame has suffered from rust right by the front bush of the wishbone. This is gonna be an mot failure, so needs changing.

I have the option of a new one from vw priced at 240 or a used one at 60ish pounds, is it worth investing in the new one or just going for the used one providing it is in fairly good nick?? Also is it worth getting it seam welded or sealed and painted etc.. can anyone advise??

Much appreciated

i would buy the used one have it shot blasted and powder coated this would still cost you under £100 and look like new.

Welcome tyrone670. I had a bit of a bump a few months back and needed a new subframe, i bent it !!. i went for a new one from vw which took about 18 days to come from germany, as you say about £240. as long as the second hand one is in good nick you will be ok. This is a great forum with nice genuine people who will help where possible.

Ive got a little collection of subframes in my garage. I would very much like to get rid of them, pm sent.

any vr6 ones??? :)

Ive got a little collection of subframes in my garage. I would very much like to get rid of them, pm sent.

Got another going that's in decent nick? I'm in the same boat as our new friend here.

Ill have a look, i just checked and i could only find 2, 1xearly 1xlate. Both have been stripped pretty much, i just need to check with a forum member, crispy i think his name was, whether he still wanted the late one. Will let you guys know in due course.

The early one is available for anyone who wants it, pm me. Im sure i have more somewhere, jsut cant remermber where they are, amidst all the other corrado parts.

Ill have a look, i just checked and i could only find 2, 1xearly 1xlate. Both have been stripped pretty much, i just need to check with a forum member, crispy i think his name was, whether he still wanted the late one. Will let you guys know in due course.

The early one is available for anyone who wants it, pm me. Im sure i have more somewhere, jsut cant remermber where they are, amidst all the other corrado parts.

khurrado its the front one i need, the one that sits under the rad support and has the front engine mount on. cheers