Sign in to follow this  
poll250

fixing isv

No, it's the ISV damper, you can remove the foam as it can come loose and block the pipe.

The ISV is the metal bit that that is attached to by a pipe.

Not the ISV - that's the damper pot that contains the filter you've described. Removing it can help with running/stalling problems.

And your pic is huge. Changed to a link.

The ISV is next to that - it's metal with an electrical connector and about 5" long and 1" or so in diameter. You need to take the plastic cover off to see it and access it.

Cheers!

Yeah I just realised I forgot to resize it, was just about to!

So can I remove the isv damper pot altogether, or just the damper inside it? Ill go look for the isv now, thanks for the quick replies!

Aye, just spray liberally inside, I only left for 5 mins, but I'm impatient like that!

Put some WD40 on before you put back in.

Might help but might not. See how you get on. My ISV was actually duff and causing all sorts of problems.. mere carb cleaner was not enough!

aha great! Ive got two so ill put the spare on and see if that fixes the problem!

Cheers for all the help, who knows where Id be without this forum!

Would redex do?

should be OK, I've used petrol before too, but I'm sure I used redex once as I had an old bottle in the garage and no intention of putting the stuff in my tank :)

so i just unplug it and put some carb cleaner in it overnight! bosh

work the spring loaded plunger at the end a good few times when the carb cleaner's in.

Would redex do?

Don,t know about Redex, I've always used carb cleaner or plus gas to clean it then a little bit of WD40 to lubricate afterwards.

what plunger!? argh.

I swapped the isv from my other vr6 and it doesnt stall at all now so this should sort it goood if i can find the plunger lol :)

Look at the end opposite the electrical connection and if you push a small screwdiver into the openining you should be able to get the plunger to move. This is the valve that opens and closes when required.

Quick question,

I'm Currently cleaning my ISV and Throtle Body on my VR6 (both filthy!),

Is it safe to remove the TB without a replacement gasket or is it likely to break?

Should be ok, I didn't replace mine and haven't had a problem. Torque it up as specified if you can though.