Sign in to follow this  
Joniboy

Rear Caliper Slider Kit

Hi guys,

I tried the search but I couldn't find squat on what I want.

Am I right in saying that a caliper slider kit should contain the carrier guide rubber seal (the little concertina’d bit)?

I need all four for the rear (both sides) and the only place I have found that might sell them (other than VW) is GSF in a Caliper Slider Kit but these are for a MK3 Goof (I'm guessing they will fit).

Has anyone bought one of these? Does it contain the carrier guide seal?

The GSF part number is: 62599A

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Jon

I was looking at this the other day. You cannot buy the slider pins from VW without the caliper carrier($$$$). You can buy the boots however, so I did... They come with a little sachet of silicone jipper to lube the pins with too....

Don't know about the Mk3 items though.

Right just FYI

I spoke to GSF and the slider kit does contain the slider pin boots and the guy reckons the ones for a mark 3 golf (part no. 62599A) will fit. I ordered a set so I will let peeps know what the kit consists of and if it fits.

:)

UPDATE:

The MK3 Golf slider kits are NOT the same as the '92 Corrado VR so abort the mission!

I will be sending mine back to GSF, slap the guys wrist who told me they were the same and going straight round to VW tomorrow to get the proper parts. That will learn me for being lazy and ordering over the phone!

:)

The MK3 ones are the same and as Toad says they are not available seperatly from VW... they've probably given you fronts or something...

Sorry, I was talking about the boots, not the pins that Toad was talking about.

The boots are available seperatley from VW.

The rear slider kit from GSF doesn't come with the pins either, it is literally just the boots.

However, the MK3 ones they sent (as they don't stock the Corrado ones) are nothing like those on the Corrado.

I checked the part numbers and they have sent the boots they list as MK3 Rear Slider Kit. Unless they marked them up wrong... possible I guess.

They certainly wouldn't work as they are solid rather than concertina’d and the two boots in each kit are of different lengths.

I've taken apart both front and rears off a 16v. I have no idea if the pins are the same length on front and back and no idea if they're the same as a VR. Also, as seen as people do the Mk4 rear conversion to the 16v's, I reckon that thier pins are probably the same length as 16v'ers.

If you're really at a loose end - and want pins for your VR6 - I can remove the pins from mine and measure the length of them. That way if you search on ebay for carriers (with pins), you know if/(not) 16v/Mk4's work too.

NB: obviously note that the rubber boots are well worth replacing - thats what I did, as I bought that little set off VAG. I then refurbished my current pins and was careful to note that the flat edges remained. Also note that you're not to use copper slip/grease on the pins as its metal based; I used a regular high-temp grease.

NB2: the rubber boots that you put on as new should last years. All as long as you dont damage them. The two old boots I found with splits in were also twisted up, showing signs that the previous owner had incorrectly tightened the caliper, but NOT making sure that the sliding pin (with nut head) did not turn (by using an open-ended spanner ;; which he should've done).

Also note that you're not to use copper slip/grease on the pins as its metal based; I used a regular high-temp grease.

Yip, the VW kits come with a sachet of the correct lucas grease...

oooer, i got bolts with blue locking thread on them (x2), and two boots. Maybe the sachet fell out, as I did manage to drop everything into one communal box of new bits. Still got the box at home, the little f*kker is probably sat at the bottom of the box then Super-C. Not nutz for sure; possibly different to a VR.

If you're really at a loose end - and want pins for your VR6 - I can remove the pins from mine and measure the length of them. That way if you search on ebay for carriers (with pins), you know if/(not) 16v/Mk4's work too.

Cheers for the offer :)

I only wanted the boots in the first place - not the pins. I probably didn't make it clear in the first place - sorry!

I bought a slider kit in the hope that it would contain the boots and would fit the VR. Turns out, the slider kit for the MK3 from GSF only contains the boots anyway but they are certainly not what came off my rear calipers so have sent them back

I have now bought the boots from VW.

Thanks for the kind offer though :)

Really? - mine came in a small box with boots with captive nuts, bolts and a silver sachet...

Yep, that's how mine came from VAG for the VR but without the nuts - just bolts