Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

Alternator Query

Morning Chaps

In need of some advice.

READ FOR BACKGROUND INFO BUT NOT NECCESARY TO ANSWER QUESTION.

As a second car, I have a MK3 Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI (90bhp model)

Coming home from work last week, the alternator pulley decided to fall off. Apparently a common fault on this type of Bosch Alt. Was happy to pay £150 or so for the new Alt (NOT) but added to this was a surcharge of £80.00, waived if I gave back my old one in exchange. Only problem, they wouldn’t accept my old one cause the pulley was bust (ofcourse it’s broke, that’s why I’m replacing it, MOFO’s)

Taking into consideration that they’d take 2+ days to get the part in and I didn’t want to pay the surcharge, I decided to try elsewhere.

Eurocarparts, GSF, listed the wrong part for my car and couldn’t match the part number, useless.

Plan B, I thought I’d get it reconditioned instead but the shop couldn’t get the old bolts off to replace the pulley, told me that they tried everything, heating it up and allsorts but no way was the spline screw coming off.. Instead of accepting their advice, I bought my own spline tool in an attempt to take the screw out. Broke the tool but the b*stard screw didn’t turn one bit! (£50 for a new pulley )

At this stage I was well p*ssed off - Luckily, a friend with contacts managed to source a second hand alternator off another VW TDI that had the same fitments.

Bargain at £40 but the ampage is double that of my old one.

MY QUESTIONS

The standard Alternator is 70 Amp, the one my mate sourced is 140 Amp.

I should have taken advice beforehand but I wanted my car back on the road immediately so have fitted it in. Well proud of myself for doing the job without the need for any assistance. Guess I’m a bit more qualified now…lol

Anyway, my concern now is that with the more powerful alternator, is there a risk of burning the electrics? Don’t want the loom to catch fire or the battery to explode. Do these cars have a regulator on them? I am aware that people upgrade the alternator for various reasons but doubling the ampage, am I at risk of a hefty bill? The headlights do seem a little brighter then usual.

Drove the car to work this morning (30 mile motorway run) seems to be okay.

Am I safe?

yeah you should be fine, its a common upgrade for people to do when they fit big audio installs, the alternator has got a regulator built in so it wont over charge anyway.

Thank you coolrado - is there any need for me to upgrade the battery?

As long as the Alt does have a reg built in,should be okay I hope, don't want the batt to explode.

no need to up the battery IMO. Battery wont explode as such, just fizzle out and die. Batteries not cheap though. Hope that regulator is correct; should be in theory.