Sign in to follow this  
G60-NeedMoorePoower

ABF --> (ex) Corrado G60 help pls / caveats..?

Hi

My charger needs rebuilding ; G60 motor uses approx 1 litre of oil per 2 weeks or 20km/dayx14days....; gearbox is nacked -first no 3rd gear, then no 1st + Rev, now only 2,4 +5th...

Decided replacing whole motor & g/box....not paying for g/box swop, 4mths later pay again to replace motor...

So found a Golf III Gti 2L 16v (ABF).

searched forums high and low and this what I think is correct info :-

1. ABF plus g/box fit into Corrado 100%....mounts are the same...?!

2. ..is 16mm higher so it touches bonnet -does it -really ??

3. ecu is different, so is the ecu harness the same..?

4. do i need ABF's engine mounts or can i use existing G60's ?

5. will the G60's gear linkage fit ABF's g/bear (they're missing..) ?

6. I am told by seller that alternators are all the same (yeah right...I doubt it), however

Gti (??) forums say not...!?

Summary what I need to know / have doubts on :-

7. wiring / harness....?

8. engine mounts...

9. speedo reading / sensors..?

10. who has sucessfully done this transplant.

11. want to move to Phase 2 asap = eaton M45 or M62 charger with T3 (twin-charged)

12. Does anyone have pics of :

(i) ..where air flow meter is supposed to be...

(ii) what / where the group of pumps are mounted lower front of block...(trying to

identify which is p/s, airco etc etc

(iii) ..sensor that appears to be missing top end of g/box near linkage...

Thanks

if you got doubts on that many things then you shuldn't be doing it.

not trying to sound harsh but thats how it is.

you need to research. try club GTi and other sources. look for aba turbo/16v in america. an abf is just that.

to answers a few

1. it fits

2. need a uppy bonnet for good clearance.

3. use megasquirt. std kjet is past it and abf digi 3 is not too good.

4. yes

5. yes

6. different.

7-12 research, then ask again.

if you got doubts on that many things then you shuldn't be doing it.

not trying to sound harsh but thats how it is.

you need to research. try club GTi and other sources. look for aba turbo/16v in america. an abf is just that.

to answers a few

1. it fits

2. need a uppy bonnet for good clearance.

3. use megasquirt. std kjet is past it and abf digi 3 is not too good.

4. yes

5. yes

6. different.

7-12 research, then ask again.

gee thanks

...no choice -its my daily drive, need wheels, choice of older KR motor which could break

after a short time, so the ABF came up...so

.. I have researched -hence the need to summarise, there's a lot of "this could" or try this

and pages and pages of "wow excellent" , "great...wish I..".....and not enough facts !

I have the VAG(??) cd...but it requires screen resolution of 1280 x ....monitor doesn't

support this...

this is my first VW...

I have a Corrado with only 2nd, 4th + 5th gears.

Its been parked up now for 1 week.

I either get it running before it gets nicked, ends up on bricks....etc

:(

id get a G60 box. the abf one is pants and its not as good for extra power.

when looking to build a bespoke engine there isn't many for sures in the equation other than youll spend more than you expected.

ABF is a good motor but not enough power for the Corrado really compared with the G60... spend the money rebuilding the G60, not cheap but a well tuned one is awesome!

how bout just a turbo. keep it simple and cheap. the ony cred from 2charge is pub cred.

stick a gt3082 on there or a cheaper t3/t04e 57.

let me know what parts you require i may have them left from my 16vt project but im currently helping a mate do an abf job at present so lots of buts are gone.

ABF is a good motor but not enough power for the Corrado really compared with the G60... spend the money rebuilding the G60, not cheap but a well tuned one is awesome!

phase 1 is a carrado that runs...(i've got nothing that runs at the moment its a daily drive)

phase 2 is the blower...

phase 2.5 is blower + bigger IC + T3

Thanks

Motor options :

KR 1.8 16v is just as old as my G60....most look in a bad state, high mileage etc etc, rebuilt ones they asking 1000 euro approx...

another G60 - I'd be in the same position I am in now -it'll look like shit, high mileage / unknown condition -how longs this one going to last ...again rebuilt its just under 1000 euros.

ABF -what I've found at the moment -newish motor, new technology blah blah...

Thanks

how bout just a turbo. keep it simple and cheap. the ony cred from 2charge is pub cred.

stick a gt3082 on there or a cheaper t3/t04e 57.

let me know what parts you require i may have them left from my 16vt project but im currently helping a mate do an abf job at present so lots of buts are gone.

Hence this post I would really appreciate the help / tips with an ABF --> a (ex G60) Corrado.

This is short notice, I've read gti forums, this forum ....and lots of mixed information.

Its supposed to be a daily drive -but I've bought S*it -its not well maintained and I need transport, I'll settle for a std engine for now.

I want something different -blower plus turbo.

Have you tried adjusting the gear selector cables? It might solve one of your problems instantly. :lol:

I think the suggestion that the 8v engine is poo isnt really correct. You can count on one hand the number of owners on here that have had a pg engine (not discounting the charger) fail. Assuming the temps are correct, i.e no thermostat or oil probs, it seems to be a pretty bulletproof unit.

Mine too is a daily drive and embarking on an engine swap is likely to leave you car-less for some time!

Edit: another point is economy. My brother runs an ABF golf. to get anywhere near g60 potential with that means completely screwing the MPG figs. Fair enough his golf is about as fast as my C, but he's lucky to see 20 MPg due to all the fettling. If your doing 240 miles a week then your really gonna feel that in your wallet.

Have you tried adjusting the gear selector cables? It might solve one of your problems instantly. :lol:

I think the suggestion that the 8v engine is poo isnt really correct. You can count on one hand the number of owners on here that have had a pg engine (not discounting the charger) fail. Assuming the temps are correct, i.e no thermostat or oil probs, it seems to be a pretty bulletproof unit.

Mine too is a daily drive and embarking on an engine swap is likely to leave you car-less for some time!

Edit: another point is economy. My brother runs an ABF golf. to get anywhere near g60 potential with that means completely screwing the MPG figs. Fair enough his golf is about as fast as my C, but he's lucky to see 20 MPg due to all the fettling. If your doing 240 miles a week then your really gonna feel that in your wallet.

no - I pretty much thought that the constant grinding sound whilst Reverse, 1st+3rd were "out of order" -that I had turned the gears into donuts !! hehe

Thanks

no - I pretty much thought that the constant grinding sound whilst Reverse, 1st+3rd were "out of order" -that I had turned the gears into donuts !! hehe

Thanks

the 8v is poo for performance. end of story. itll last yes, tried tested proven many times over. once over the 200hp mark its a very steep hill. the ABF has far more potential than a G60. look at the facts and performance gains. no G60 ever made 500wheel. a well built abf with a good turbo has a fine change of making 500 wheel.

a good abf T will do 30mpg no worries off boost. NA cars tend to be more fuel hungry at these higher powers around 200 crank.

my 2.2 5cyl T can manage 25 and thats dragging the 4wd around. on boost as low as 6

i built my 16vt engine got the box, the turbo did the wiring etc whilst runnig the G60 about. i was looking at a week to fit it with the 6 speed and do all the wiring. maybe into week 2 for the engineers report and new ticket.