Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Indicators fixed and dilated

My Storm has been stood a few weeks, long enough for the battery to be fully discharged as the trickle charger isn't working. Yesterday I gave it a boost while I repaired the door handle and it started fine from the battery with everything running normally.

This morning it was nearly flat again, at least not enough charge to start. I put the battery boost on again and impatiently kept trying to turn it over every few mins :-S it turned over slowly and the alarm was making beeps like it was dying then the indicators came on... and stayed on. The fobs don't work now, neither do the indicators..they just stay on regardless of ignition position. I can start and drive the car fine.

Current state, on trickle charge with lots of orange lights!

The Alarm is a VW Fit and branded Scorpion which was in good health a few months ago (had a Cat 1 Health Check).

I also tried pulling the fuse 17, which I thought was the indicators and they stayed on.

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like your battery maybe almost totally flat (read dead) and your imoboiliser is kicking in.

Try with a new battery maybe?

Either that or try charging it completely overnight and don't try to start again until it is fully charged.

Boost charging tends to play havoc with some alarms systems. I've seen boost charging completely annihilate Clifford and Cobra alarm brains, so that could have happened. Try disconnecting the battery from the car and trickle charge on its own then re-connect and try the key fobs. It the very least the alarm brain is probably out of sync with the key fobs, and they'd require recoding/syncing. Other than that find a Scorpion alarm dealer. They may be able to suggest something else.

I think I am sorted, this evening had me saying WTF! every couple of minutes. Following the first theroy above that the not very old battery is dead I tested it, with in conclusive results on the tested

Disconected and reconnected, few alarm blips, then full on alarm, fobs worked again then stopped back to square one. Checked connections, no difference. At this point it had been on fast charge for 10 hours and was still drawing 10amps! Had a check of a few fuses, still scratching head. Disconnected fast charge and firmly shut the drivers door.... then the Alarm went off full tilt and lights and power came back up to normal and charge draw plumeted, huh working again! WTF, then it all died again.

Decided that the plates must be totally knackered and moving inside battery and shorting. Pulled battery, found it was much smaller than should be and replaced with a new fat calcium job. Old battery has somthing loose inside.

Everything normal now and turns over like a turbine - 620 cranking amps :-)

Thanks guys.