Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Radiator air flow rate for 1.8 16v

Can anyone tell me what volume of air per minute the standard radiator fan on a 1.8 16v displaces?

I was thinking about replacing my old fan with a slimline spal, as I have a mate who can make me up a nice aluminium bracket, and it would probably cool the radiator far more efficiently, which will be important with the summer around the corner.

My current standard setup allows the temperature to peak quite high (water ~ 110oC, oil at almost 120oC) and i'd like to reduce the occurences of that.

Cheers.

Tom

a standard VAG valver rad is pretty efficient as it has double the cores of an 8v golf equivalent, if your temps are too high then I'd suggest spending your money on a new rad, heat exchanger and water pump rather than a bigger fan. Of course checking the rad temp switch is operating OK on both temp settings/speeds is a good starting point.

I've also seen a number of partially blocked old radiators.

It is possible to fit a 16v rad designed for an air-con car and twin VW fans as the passats have fitted, could probably source a bigger rad and fans second hand for less than 50 quid, however on a modified 16v I've had no oil or water temp problems with new standard VW parts, even on a long rolling road tune-up with limited airflow.

I have got a new Rad, heat exchanger and fan switch. I have been thinking about a new pump to be honest.

My question was really about getting a fan capable of moving more air to cool the radiator more quickly, essentially it would be coming on slightly more often for shorter periods of time.