Sign in to follow this  
chuck

50mm inlet manifold

Hi,

I have been given some very conflicting advice on the 50mm inlet. Is this a worthwhile mod to an otherwise standard engine (only mod is a panel filter)?

I have been told that it will make a noticeable difference, though I heve read on here that it won't. I also don't wantto sacrifice what little low down torque the standard engine has.

Also visually, whats the difference. i saw one on a golf and it was more square (angular anyway) than mine, whereas the one i have lined up looks exactly like mine, i.e. round.

thanks

could also knacker the low end torque as a wider inlet = slower inlet velocity = lower torque. Not good on a 1.8. :(

If my smaller inlet manifold is good for over 165bhp on my 2L engine conversion I'd be very surprised if you get more power from a 50mm inlet on a standard 1.816v. You'd be better off just internally cleaning up the castings on your original manifold, so you get a smoother and faster flow but don't increase the inlet diameter.

It's really the head that is the main restriction to flow anyway and adding greater capacity to the inlet isn't going to change what your standard head can pump through.

my 2p,

David.

visually it had shaped areas around the plugs and its fatter...you may find a little more top end power