Sign in to follow this  
fraz1776

Clifford concept 50

Hi I went to open my car last night with the remote, it did open it but not as quikly as usual, I got in the car and went to start it but it wouldn's start and after about 20 secs the alarm started going off so I think it has immobilised itself for some reason!!

I had the manual out but i can't find any way to reset it none of the buttons on the fob do anythink to stop it so everytime i open the door the bloody alarm goes off.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and how to stop it??

Cheers.

don't know when it was fitted it was on when I bought it but it must have been a good few years ago.

It may be the battery not sure, will I need to get a new one if it is or just use jump leads to charge the battery??

Its hard to say does it do it all the time or just sometimes???? If it is the car battery going flat there must be a reason for it, maybe the alarm is kernackered....?

this is the first time it's done it, I think it must be the battery the fog light switch was on but the lights didn't come on and I forgot I pressed the switch. would that have drained the battery still?

Nah the main lights need to be on for the fogs to be on... It could eb the remote battery or the alarm best get it to an auto electrician.... :(

I replaced the battery incase thats what it is but I'm getting a mechanic in the army that knows a bit about alarms to have a look so hopefully he'll be able to sort it.

There cant be many of us still with Concept 50's fitted.

I had a prob with mine recently and had it fixed under their 'lifetime guarantee'.

Orig fault was fixed ok, but now it has a few 'peculiarities' - but I can live with 'em.

when you tried to start it did the dash warning lights go dim when you turned the key or was there any clicking?

it does sound like just a flat car battery, how long had the car been sitting for?

if it is a flat battery also check your boot light is turning off when the boot is closed.

yeah there is clicking and the rev counter kind of moves a tiny bit with the ticks, and the lights do go dim when I turn the key . The car was only sitting for a couple of days.

Concept 50 is a minimum of 6-7 years old now, as it was replaced by the G4 Clifford stuff (Concept 300, 500 600).

yeah there is clicking and the rev counter kind of moves a tiny bit with the ticks, and the lights do go dim when I turn the key . The car was only sitting for a couple of days.

yep definately dead battery, are you sure your alternator is ok?

Sounds defo like a dead car battery to me. That will affect the alarm for sure.

Still got a Concept 50 myself. Luckily, don't have any real problems with mine, although I have always thought that the total closure bit on my alarm is too sensitive. When it rains, the flippin' alarm goes off. So I tend to turn the proximity bit off.

Oh, and it does drain my battery flat if I leave the car for more than 2 weeks without touching it.

Sounds defo like a dead car battery to me. That will affect the alarm for sure.

Still got a Concept 50 myself. Luckily, don't have any real problems with mine, although I have always thought that the total closure bit on my alarm is too sensitive. When it rains, the flippin' alarm goes off. So I tend to turn the proximity bit off.

Oh, and it does drain my battery flat if I leave the car for more than 2 weeks without touching it.

do I need a new battery then or can i use jump leads??

You could try jumping it from another car, but make sure that you have some leads with surge protectors in them to protect the electrics in your car. Don't want a dead MFA etc do we....

If that works then see about charging the battery up properly, either by using a battery conditioner, there are a number on the market, to get the battery charged up properly.

If the battery keeps going down rapidly, then you have either got a light left on somewhere (boot maybe?) or the alarm has a problem and is draining the battery on your behalf. In which case a new alarm, or just an immobiliser would be the answer.

I guess from the flag you are based in Scotland, otherwise if you were in the deep south I would recomend that you speak to Andy Bryant (TrimWizard), who knows about these things, and is also known to the forum, and used to have a lovely silver VR C and a Mk2 GTI.

John