Sign in to follow this  
A-J

Front caliper piston seal

I eventually got around to replacing my front brake pads today and found the piston seal was torn as is one of the bolt dust seals. I've had a look at a couple of posts and removing the piston doesn't seem a nice job. Is it worth getting the seals and repairing the calliper or should I just get one from GSF? Would a new calliper come with a sealed piston or would I have to use the old piston in the new calliper?

Cheers

Changing the piston seals isn't as hard as you think. I think the new seals cost something like £8 from VW. I would go for that if it was me.

Yeah, they're pretty easy to replace. I'd definitely do it. Get someone to pump the brake peddle to push the piston out of the caliper.

It's a bit of a fiddle to change the seals but be patient and you'll easily do it. Getting the piston started back into the bore is the tricky bit because obviously the main seal is a very close fit.

Be certain to keep everything scrupulously clean.

Best wishes

RB

I used a bicycle pump with an adaptor to fit over a bleed nipple to push the piston out (saves getting fluid everywhere). I think a Haynes manual has a usual vague discription of how to do it.

I used a bicycle pump with an adaptor to fit over a bleed nipple to push the piston out (saves getting fluid everywhere). I think a Haynes manual has a usual vague discription of how to do it.

Or a blower attachment for a compressor held in the hole. Just be gentle when doing it...

Would be a good opportunity to clean the caliper up and respray it...

If you find any rust on the piston, take it back with emery cloth until it's smooth, and it should be fine for a reasonable while.

Just make sure that the bore of the caliper is not contaminated with paint if spraying it when the piston is out. And don't paint the surface where it butts up against the carrier.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks very much guys, I'll order the seals and save myself some cash.