Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Koni coilover maintenance?

My coilies were fitted by a previous owner back in 2003. Just wondering if there was anything I can do to service/maintain them? Any wax/grease etc that anyone can recommend?

Also, I don't have the instructions or the C-spanner, and I want to drop them a bit more. How do I do this?

Cheers! :)

Had mine raised yesterday. Seems the 'locking' 'nut' is loosened out the way then the bottom of the spring is screwed down (or up!!) to the required height then the 'locking' 'nut' is screwed back to lock everything in place.

No C spanner required, just a hammer and cold chisel to move the 'nut' and spring. Once freed off the spring can be screwed down by hand.

If I've got that totally wrong feel free to correct me!!

The coilovers themselves should be maintenance free internally.

However if the threads are full of crap then it's a good idea to scrub them down with a pressure washer or a wire brush before fitting them. You could consider diving them a good spray of WD40 which will free them up.

The C-spanners aren't too hard to find either in motorfactors or on the internet. I can't recall the size you need but there are only a couple of sizes anyway and if you find a supplier they will help you find the right one.

Had mine raised yesterday. Seems the 'locking' 'nut' is loosened out the way then the bottom of the spring is screwed down (or up!!) to the required height then the 'locking' 'nut' is screwed back to lock everything in place.

No C spanner required, just a hammer and cold chisel to move the 'nut' and spring. Once freed off the spring can be screwed down by hand.

If I've got that totally wrong feel free to correct me!!

the pikey methods works more reliably, my preferred method also ;)

Cheers for the responses :)

Will have a look at mine soon- will try the pikey method.

Anyone got any pics?

C-spanners don't actually cost a lot. If you bang on them with a hammer & screwdriver "pikey stylee" then you do run a risk of damaging the collars if you smack them too hard.

I always prefer to use the proper tool for the job myself.

John, you've got a point- would rather use a spanner. Will try and get hold of one.

Thanks, Andy- good idea :)